Photo

"Duel Club" New Old-School Dueling League with mild inspiration from the cult-film Fight Club

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

CrimsonKaine

CrimsonKaine

• Team:OLD-SCHOOL FTW :( i wish

“Welcome to Duel Club!

The first rule of Duel Club...,

Is that you talk about Duel Club.

The second rule of Duel Club...,

Is that you talk A LOT about Duel Club!

Rule #3: If a duelist's life points hit zero, or concedes, the duel is over. It's not over it you can't draw. (think of milling as sending your opponent's good cards to the grave, they'll run out eventually).

Rule #4 : Keep it fair, you can use any card you want in Duel Club, but abuse this power and Duel Club will develop it's own list of banned cards, quickly.

Rule #5: One card at a time, fellas. Don't expect to throw multiple copies of the same card in your deck (ONLY ONE COPY OF EACH CARD IN YOUR DECK).

Rule #6: The duels are Old-School. No Synchros, no XYZs, no Pendulums. Don't go crazy with  Archetype decks either, build your own deck, don't use somebody else's. “

The idea of Duel Club is to make the game more aesthetically appealing by letting each player use his own thoroughly unique deck, similar to decks seen in the anime. This is done by first removing all categories of monsters not released way back in the "The Lost Millenium" booster pack (the very first pack of the GX generation). This means that Synchros, XYZs, Pendulums, Geminis, Psychics and Wyrms aren’t allowed. Any cards that do not fall into one of the previously mentioned categories are allowed, even new ones. That means no banned list, hooray!

Not quite! In order to alleviate some of the some of the impending broken-ness of going back to the “Power-Card” format, all cards have a deck limit of one. Old meta-tactics like “Goat Control”, “Exodia Stall”, or the infamous “Yata Lock” will be severely frowned upon, to the point of being quick-banned if used frequently. In fact, each player’s deck should be uniquely their own, this mean using other people's ideas, as central concepts to the deck, including Archetypes, aren't allowed. Be Creative!

A quick note on Archetypes: Although you deck shouldn't be centralized around them, you can have up to 5 cards from one archetype, or up 3 cards from two different archetypes; and in combination with either (or neither), you may have up to 1 card each from an unlimited amount of different archetypes, in your deck.

Now let’s talk about your "Signature Card". Remember how in the anime Yugi had Dark Magician, Joey had Red Eyes and Jaden had Winged Kuriboh? Those were the cards that they Identified with, or liked the most. You have to pick a card like that. It's strongly recommended (if not enforced through quick-ban) that you pick a card you feel at least slightly sentimental about (Nobody will believe you if you say you feel a connection with the playable version of "Obelisk, the Tormentor"). Your Signature Card gets 3 abilities:

1. Instead using your normal draw for the turn, you can add your Signature Card to your hand.

2. When you attack the opponent directly with your Signature Card, you deal 1000 bonus damage.

3. Drawback: Must be level 8 or lower.

So that’s the basic idea of it. Tell me what you guys think. I’d really like to see how this does as an unofficial format.

P.S. If anyone would like to help me with a list of banned Signature Cards, i’d appreciate it immensely. I know cards like "Yata Garasu" are going on it for sure.

Edited by CrimsonKaine, 02 September 2015 - 01:10 PM.

Tokers

Tokers

(-̮̮̃- ̃)

• Preferred Name:Tokers
  • Team:[RLE] Red Lust Empire

For starters, the idea of using the classic format had been blown down more times than I could remember and even with this mechanic, even I'm not yes for it.

It's too boring for my part. I don't know about others.

ILIEKCHEESESTEAK

ILIEKCHEESESTEAK

Fluffy kittens and rainbows

Dunno why Freed would be banned as a signature card.

Ritual cards are basically useless with only one copy of the Ritual monster and spell.

Pot of Greed will be an automatic inclusion in EVERY DECK if it isn't banned.

Your Signature Card cannot be destroyed by card effects.

So if they choose a signature monster immune to battle it's basically invincible, considering Casteel, the Avian Skyblaster isn't allowed.

I wish you luck, but many similar ideas have failed.

http://masqueradefor...visionzone.com/

Have a visit, We're nice folk

I was going to commit suicide but Corey in the house showed me a new light in my life and made me realise that life is worth living

There are a lot of bad cards but in the end nothing is worse than Pot of Desires

notcleverusername
It's like poking shit with a stick. That's on fire. And the shit's on fire. And everything is on fire.

CrimsonKaine

CrimsonKaine

For starters, the idea of using the classic format had been blown down more times than I could remember and even with this mechanic, even I'm not yes for it.

It's too boring for my part. I don't know about others.

Well In the future, try not to shoot down other people's ideas. Keep an open open mind or keep your mouth shut please. Thank you.

Dunno why Freed would be banned as a signature card.

Ritual cards are basically useless with only one copy of the Ritual monster and spell.

Pot of Greed will be an automatic inclusion in EVERY DECK if it isn't banned.

So if they choose a signature monster immune to battle it's basically invincible, considering Casteel, the Avian Skyblaster isn't allowed.

I wish you luck, but many similar ideas have failed.

I'll answer everything in order:

Freed would be banned because of the immediate ability to pass on the selective draw mechanic to other cards. Think about that in a warrior toolbox deck. 

I remember getting by just fine in the old days with one ritual spell and one ritual monster. You could always make the Ritual monster your signature card and throw in things like Senju and Sonic Bird. You seem to have missed how much it effects other strategies as well.

I did consider how broken draw power would be. In fact, I considered not long after I wrote Rule #5 that i'd ban mechanics instead of individual cards, keeping draw power cards out of the game. I personally don't mind everyone running just one PoG, if it means giving people freedom to design their deck the way they like. Although, I definitely understand where you're coming from and I would like to address it.

Okay, now I'm embarrassed. I didn't think about monsters who can't be destroyed by battle. How ignorant of me. That's getting removed, right now.

Thank you for your your critique, ILIEKCHEESESTEAK. It was very helpful. Even if it may have seemed like nothing to you, it still helps me a lot.

Edited by CrimsonKaine, 01 September 2015 - 11:25 AM.

ILIEKCHEESESTEAK

ILIEKCHEESESTEAK

I'll answer everything in order:

Freed would be banned because of the immediate ability to pass on the selective draw mechanic to other cards. Think about that in a warrior toolbox deck. 

I remember getting by just fine in the old days with one ritual spell and one ritual monster. You could always make the Ritual monster your signature card and throw in things like Senju and Sonic Bird. You seem to have missed how much it effects other strategies as well.

I did consider how broken draw power would be. In fact, I considered not long after I wrote Rule #5 that i'd ban mechanics instead of individual cards, keeping draw power cards out of the game. I personally don't mind everyone running just one PoG, if it means giving people freedom to design their deck the way they like. Although, I definitely understand where you're coming from and I would like to address it.

Okay, now I'm embarrassed. I didn't think about monsters who can't be destroyed by battle. How ignorant of me. That's getting removed, right now.

Thank you for your your critique, ILIEKCHEESESTEAK. It was very helpful. Even if it may have seemed like nothing to you, it still helps me a lot.

Also responding in order.

Freed is more powerful with a limited cardpool, yes.  However, it has the drawbacks of being a tribute monster and it needs to stay on the field to activate, in addition to replacing your normal draw.

Admittedly I have no practice in that sort of format and draw/search power is going to be limited, so I can see Freed becoming somewhat centralizing due to having possible easy searches that other decks may struggle to pull off on a similar level.  However, Freed seems a bit frail (relatively low stats at 2100 ATK, no protection effects) to ban outright.  I think it may warrant some testing as a Signature Card before being banned from being used as one, but again, I haven't played the format and it's not a huge entirely game-changing ban.

I am very aware how all decks are affected, but Rituals are forced to have a specific combo of cards to even be used at all, so decreased draw and search power is quite crippling.  However, I just now remembered how severely Fusion decks are also affected.

Yeah, I can see quite a few cards becoming instant staples, and off the top of my head I can think of various evil combos involving cards that are currently Forbidden that people may try to abuse in decks (Knight Express Knight or any level 10 + Metamorphosis = Naturia Exterioak, Five Headed Dragon and Future Fusion to abuse with Chaos decks, etc. etc.).  I don't know if not using a Forbidden/limited list of some kind would really work well.

Marshmallon is no longer able to be God tier, RIP Marshmallon 

You're welcome.  I just found the idea interesting and made some simple suggestions.

Edited by ILIEKCHEESESTEAK, 01 September 2015 - 12:04 PM.

I was going to commit suicide but Corey in the house showed me a new light in my life and made me realise that life is worth living

There are a lot of bad cards but in the end nothing is worse than Pot of Desires

notcleverusername
It's like poking shit with a stick. That's on fire. And the shit's on fire. And everything is on fire.

Serefin99

Serefin99

Little Jabrony

• Preferred Name:Serefin

So, here's a question: why no archetypes? I know you said 'don't use other people's ideas' but the problem is that one archetype can have multiple ways of playing it. For example, Red-Eyes can go either pure beatdown, pure burn, or a combination thereof. Ghostricks can be stall, or they can be a decidedly deadly mill deck (thank you, Ghostrick Skeleton). Heck, Iron Chain was specifically designed to have 3 different ways of playing them!

I'm not shooting down your idea, I'm just curious. You're shutting off both a lot of cards AND a lot of potential members with that.

My PokePlushies

CrimsonKaine

CrimsonKaine

I think it may warrant some testing

How about we test it out? If you're up for it, that is. My Skype should be listed on my profile.

ILIEKCHEESESTEAK

ILIEKCHEESESTEAK

How about we test it out? If you're up for it, that is. My Skype should be listed on my profile.

I can't actually test for a while.

I was thinking that you would probably be able to find at least one other player due to how popular retro duels are.

notcleverusername

CrimsonKaine

CrimsonKaine

So, here's a question: why no archetypes? I know you said 'don't use other people's ideas' but the problem is that one archetype can have multiple ways of playing it. For example, Red-Eyes can go either pure beatdown, pure burn, or a combination thereof. Ghostricks can be stall, or they can be a decidedly deadly mill deck (thank you, Ghostrick Skeleton). Heck, Iron Chain was specifically designed to have 3 different ways of playing them!

I'm not shooting down your idea, I'm just curious. You're shutting off both a lot of cards AND a lot of potential members with that.

Good question! The point of it is for players to get more fulfillment out of making a deck from cards that aren't specifically made to work with one another. Anyone can look up how to play an archetype and find ways to twist and tweak it's play-style. However, that doesn't show nearly as much creativity as building a deck from scratch.

I just find no honor in using a deck that somebody else had a hand in designing and archetypes are definitely pre-designed to work with one another, by Konami.

In short, I think archetypes kinda cheapen the strategy element of the game.

I can't actually test for a while.

I was thinking that you would probably be able to find at least one other player due to how popular retro duels are.

That's cool. Not everyone has the time for it.

Edited by CrimsonKaine, 01 September 2015 - 02:04 PM.

Serefin99

Serefin99

Little Jabrony

• Preferred Name:Serefin

Good question! The point of it is for players to get more fulfillment out of making a deck from cards that aren't specifically made to work with one another. Anyone can look up how to play an archetype and find ways to twist and tweak it's play-style. However, that doesn't show nearly as much creativity as building a deck from scratch.

I just find no honor in using a deck that somebody else had a hand in designing and archetypes are definitely pre-designed to work with one another, by Konami.

In short, I think archetypes kinda cheapen the strategy element of the game.

Well, here's the problem with that:

Yes, archetypes ARE designed to work together. But just because they work together doesn't mean you put them together in a deck. For example, 'Jenis, Lightsworn Mender' damages your opponent and heals you during the End Phase of every turn in which a card was sent from your deck to the graveyard. Certainly a useful effect, but out of all the Lightsworn decks I've played against, only one has actually used her. Another example: 'Bujingi Wolf' prevents your other Beasts, Winged-Beasts, and Beast-Warrior monsters from being destroyed by battle. Once a very useful effect, nowadays it's almost laughable due to the sheer number of ways to destroy/banish something.

So you see, even when thinking within the confines of a certain archetype, deck building still requires some amount of thought. Don't think of archetypes as 'cheapening' the strategy of the game, think of them as enhancing it. Which would you rather do: go through all 600+ pages of the cards on Dueling Network, looking for the right ones to put in your deck? Or look through maybe a page or two, max, of cards devoted to a single archetype, and work from there?

(Also, just a side note: I think your EDH style of approach towards deck building is kinda broke. I think there should be certain cards, i.e. MST, that you should be allowed to have multiples of in a deck, simply because it wouldn't really be fair otherwise.)

My PokePlushies

ILIEKCHEESESTEAK

ILIEKCHEESESTEAK

Ah, and for archetypes, could you use a single card from an archetype?
For example, Machina Fortress is used in quite a few decks outside Machinas, same with Malefic Cyber End Dragon being used outside of Malefics.  Quite a few archetype cards have potential elsewhere, or a combination of only two or three cards from an archetype.

Edited by ILIEKCHEESESTEAK, 01 September 2015 - 03:37 PM.

notcleverusername

CrimsonKaine

CrimsonKaine

Well, here's the problem with that:

Yes, archetypes ARE designed to work together. But just because they work together doesn't mean you put them together in a deck. For example, 'Jenis, Lightsworn Mender' damages your opponent and heals you during the End Phase of every turn in which a card was sent from your deck to the graveyard. Certainly a useful effect, but out of all the Lightsworn decks I've played against, only one has actually used her. Another example: 'Bujingi Wolf' prevents your other Beasts, Winged-Beasts, and Beast-Warrior monsters from being destroyed by battle. Once a very useful effect, nowadays it's almost laughable due to the sheer number of ways to destroy/banish something.

So you see, even when thinking within the confines of a certain archetype, deck building still requires some amount of thought. Don't think of archetypes as 'cheapening' the strategy of the game, think of them as enhancing it. Which would you rather do: go through all 600+ pages of the cards on Dueling Network, looking for the right ones to put in your deck? Or look through maybe a page or two, max, of cards devoted to a single archetype, and work from there?

(Also, just a side note: I think your EDH style of approach towards deck building is kinda broke. I think there should be certain cards, i.e. MST, that you should be allowed to have multiples of in a deck, simply because it wouldn't really be fair otherwise.)

I understand where you are coming from Serefin99. I just see archetypes as a gimmick. I AM the person who would rather look through all 600+ pages. I think my "EDH approach" at least deserves a shot. Archetypes make me feel like I'm dueling a deck and not a person. You have your opinion and I have mine.

Ah, and for archetypes, could you use a single card from an archetype?
For example, Machina Fortress is used in quite a few decks outside Machinas, same with Malefic Cyber End Dragon being used outside of Malefics.  Quite a few archetype cards have potential elsewhere, or a combination of only two or three cards from an archetype.

No. I'm afraid I'm too hard-washed about Archetypes. I could see some of the really tiny Archetypes slipping through the cracks, such as "Magnet Warrior" or "Penguin" cards.

I didn't always have a problem with archetypes. Before Cybernetic Revolution came out, they were a cool thing to slide into your deck for a little synergy. When I saw how quickly they took over and crushed the competition (damn Cyber-Dragons) that were using unique and interesting decks, I knew that the game was going to become more about "this-beats-that" than "how-do-I-beat-that". It's become more important to know everything possible about every archetype in the meta, than to simply think on your feet.

Edited by CrimsonKaine, 01 September 2015 - 07:01 PM.

Tokers

Tokers

(-̮̮̃- ̃)

• Preferred Name:Tokers
  • Team:[RLE] Red Lust Empire

I merely stated the fact that this same type of idea had been shut down countless of times. Well w.e, good luck with this.

NecrosisTheDark

NecrosisTheDark

Devourer of Souls

I understand why you would rather avoid archetypes, but surely cards from archetypes can still be used in a deck so long as the deck doesn't become archetype dependent? Maybe allow archetype cards, but place a maximum one could have from each archetypes, like 2 or 3?

Other then that this sounds like a fun idea and I hope this succeeds. I have always wanted to build and play a personalised anime-style deck and I'd love to participate in something like this.

...Existence is fraught with misery and despair, but for every hardship faced we gain the strength to prevail...

2582207374165318.png

~ The Burning Abyss - Abandon All Hope, Ye Who Enters Here ~

~ Infernoids - The Scourge Has Been Unleashed! ~

~ Trades By NecrosisTheDark ~

CrimsonKaine

CrimsonKaine

You know what NecrosisTheDark, that sounds like a great compromise. I'll do it! Not only will I allow up to 3 cards from an archetype, I'll allow up to 5. I'm making changes to the rules stated above immediately.

Let's get this thing going!

A YEAR AND A HALF LATER...

Sorry for the necro-post, but is anyone still interested in this concept?

Edited by CrimsonKaine, 19 March 2017 - 06:09 AM.

Krokoza

Krokoza

Junk

keep your mouth shut please.

j46TSsP.png

QHxfY6k.jpg

Thanks for the epic Ridley sig Leone!

yCfDFIR.png

Amateur Junk 5$, XL Junk 8$

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Concept

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to the Dueling Network Forums!

To sign in, use your duelingnetwork.com account. If you do not have one, register here.