Photo

CAC 43: Field Spell Retrain | Winner: Yugi.feder03

CAContest 43 Field Spell Retrain

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
36 replies to this topic

frenzyhero

frenzyhero

Pretty much a veteran member.

Side note, but presumably it would negate "While this card is face-up on the field" or "This card must be face-up on the field to activate and resolve"? How would it react to trigger effects?

Give example.

Cards that say "must be face-up to activate and resolve" aren't considered face-up, so that would be an illegal activation.

For example, TGHL wouldnt activate.

NolChannel

NolChannel

Elite Member

@notcleverusername

Metalfoes Seraph. 95% consistent Ouroboros, Draw 3, and neg opponent one first turn, while still having a pendulum summon. Option available to add Kristya if you already have combo, then blow up Ouroboros to get at least 3 fairies in grave (Or Vylon Disigma to immediately get 4 fairies in grave without the fuss). Freeball tech cards like D.D. Sprite as well tor niche synchro plays.

Failing that, this also ROTA's Manju.

The most broke card definitely won. : P

Edited by NolChannel, 27 February 2017 - 06:51 AM.

eclipseJacob1212

eclipseJacob1212

Team Hybrid

• Preferred Name:Eclipse
  • Team:Duelists of Geoix

Can't wait for the next CAC

And good job to Yugi.feder03. 

"It's Time to Flashforward to the Future!"

"I duel for one reason, to make my father proud."

"Behold, my Level 9 Kozmo Dragon!"

A couple of lines from my Flashforward Series. I recently got downgraded and now I live in Astro Dragon District. Lost a match in the District Championship. 

frenzyhero

frenzyhero

The most broke card definitely won. : P

My card didn't win though.

NolChannel

NolChannel

Elite Member

Last post on this, and general proposal:

Don't take away Yugi Feder's win, but additionally give Finny the Poo winning credit. This was a cool contest with several proposals to give old archetypes good boosts, and the winning card...

Well, it's actually worse than Sanctuary without the search effect, and stupidly broken with it. It touches ROTA territory with Light Fairy, with no less than ten targets which should never be able to be searched, just off the top of my head. : /

notcleverusername

notcleverusername

¯\_(ツ)_/¯©

• Team:Suibon Fan Club

As per usual, I am extremely skeptical both of where you get your stats from and how viable the decks you insist are good actually are, and even if I did believe you I wouldn't believe searching Manju is a problem anyways. In regards to the Sanctuary comparison, I objectively can't see how it's worse than the original given that the original actively does nothing whereas this at least can be used with such memery as Neo Airknight Parshath, etc.

You may remember my position on RotA, which may explain our different viewpoints on this matter. As said, it would have been better with a level limit that blocks out Kristya, but although I do acknowledge (in the rating as well) that the pop search is extremely powerful, I hold that I don't consider it nearly the problem that you might.

And, again, iKaiju's card is essentially extra copies of Terraforming that can serve as Pot of Greed with relatively fewer combos/openings required (open multiple copies of Field Spells and/or Ancient Fairy Dragon all that's needed) or more, while mrbiff's is searchable Skill Drain/Lose 1 Turn that can be played to not affect the user, so.

If that is your last post, then I suppose this will also be mine on the matter, especially since this likely comes down to irreconcilable differences in YGO philosophies anyways.

Give example.

Cards that say "must be face-up to activate and resolve" aren't considered face-up, so that would be an illegal activation.

For example, TGHL wouldnt activate.

Hmm, for example: Bottomless Trap Hole. Cards that check Type, too, like Wattcannon. There was one other interesting application I thought of last night, but alas I've forgotten it now.

Disclaimer: My strategies aren't good, they're just amusing.
Come and rate my many CACs: The Notclever CACollection, for your tl;dring pleasure.

Finny the Poo

Finny the Poo

Side note, but I do believe "exile" is a Magic term?

Oops... I don't actually play MtG, but its also a thing in Shadow Era (a game I do play). I completely fell out of all things yugioh a decade or so ago, only returning within the past year or two, so back when I was more familiar with everything (seriously, I just barely got a handle on pendulums and now what in the hell is a Link card?) it was just called "removed from play". I even went and googled it to make sure, but somehow between googling and switching tabs back to DN, I mixed up Banish and Exile... oh well...

Oh, and I did intend this card to allow you to declare 1 or 6 as an option (thus paying 100 or 600), again just flubbed my PSCT (did I post this late at night or something?) Also, "Anarchy" isn't strictly a chess thing, its definition is just: "a state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority (such as a king)." Pandemonium is another term for disorder/panic/chaos/rioting/etc, and since Anarchy has an effect that requires you to banish the "king" (Terrorking Archfiend) it felt like a good fit for me.

Thanks for the feedback!

- Winner: "Rolling Create-A-Card Competition Thread": TV/Movie Archetype contest (May 9-16, 2016): Game of Thrones "Quinary King" Archetype

- Winner: "Rolling Create-A-Card Competition Thread": Old Archetype Support contest (June 19-26, 2016): Meklord support

- Winner: "CAA #5 || Words Words Words": Archetype based on gameplay keyword (May 16 - June 16, 2016): "Janussian" (Control)

NolChannel

NolChannel

Elite Member

@notcleverusername

The original opened up a new Avenue to play fairy decks. If we remove the search entirely, I would play the original Sanctuary in Cloudian, and this new sanctuary in nothing. Lifegain is nigh pointless and it does nothing to advance the game.

Something like /this/...

The Grand Sanctuary
(Always Sanctuary in the Sky)

Once per turn, after you resolve a counter trap, you can apply one of the following effects:
-If you destroyed a monster, add one fairy type monster whose card text mentions "counter trap" from the deck to the hand
-Draw twice as many cards discarded for cost of the counter trap
-Gain twice as much life as paid for the counter trap

That, would actually open a new playstyle.
The card that won, does not, unless you allow the nuts-ass search.

notcleverusername

notcleverusername

¯\_(ツ)_/¯©

@notcleverusername

The original opened up a new Avenue to play fairy decks. If we remove the search entirely, I would play the original Sanctuary in Cloudian, and this new sanctuary in nothing. Lifegain is nigh pointless and it does nothing to advance the game.

Something like /this/...

The Grand Sanctuary
(Always Sanctuary in the Sky)
Once per turn, after you resolve a counter trap, you can apply one of the following effects:
-If you destroyed a monster, add one fairy type monster whose card text mentions "counter trap" from the deck to the hand
-Draw twice as many cards discarded for cost of the counter trap
-Gain twice as much life as paid for the counter trap

That, would actually open a new playstyle.
The card that won, does not, unless you allow the nuts-ass search.

I have played the original Sanctuary in Cloudians, and I would play the submission in janky Mars/other Agents, janky Darklords, and, indeed, even in janky Counter Fairies. All jank, to be sure, but I'm fairly sure that, again, there is little to fear competitively in most of these submissions.

I'm not entirely sure what "new playstyle" your hypothetical Field is supposed to open up given that it literally plays right into the Counter Fairy playstyle, if anything serving as a souped-up version of an existing card (Bountiful Artemis)...and considering what you've been saying, it seems a good bit more powerful than I'd expect from you. As far as it goes I suppose "Being used in not-Cloudians" would be considered a change of playstyle for the Field itself, but the playstyle it would be incorporated in wouldn't change at all.

Thanks for the feedback!

Ah, I see. If it's any comfort, one of the 2nd opinions I managed to acquire did prefer your Field out of my final 3 choices--although, amusingly, the reason they gave was that they felt Sanctuary in the Heavens to be too weak...you're probably not that out of touch, compared to me and most the peeps I know. :P

It was pretty tough choosing for me, since as I mentioned in the judging, I felt both yours and feders' to be very thematically similar, and I'm a big fan both of Counter Fairies and Archfiends. I missed the Anarchy tie with the King banish, that's pretty neat.

Come and rate my many CACs: The Notclever CACollection, for your tl;dring pleasure.

NolChannel

NolChannel

Elite Member

I have played the original Sanctuary in Cloudians, and I would play the submission in janky Mars/other Agents, janky Darklords, and, indeed, even in janky Counter Fairies. All jank, to be sure, but I'm fairly sure that, again, there is little to fear competitively in most of these submissions.

All I'm going to say is that you're undervaluing what Seraph can do by a scale of about 10. : P

frenzyhero

frenzyhero

Wattcannon

Wattcannon is old card, but there are two reasons why it won't work. Of course, because it checks type. Also in its current text, because it says "to the field", it would do nothing. Even if DNA Surgery was being applied with the correct type, Wattcannon must still check the card type, and is still illegal activation.

BTH is tough. But simply put, it wont work, and again, 2 reasons, because of the ATK check, and for a 2nd reason you probably didnt think of. Just because the monster isn't on the field when they're summoned doesn't mean they haven't been summoned, so the activation is correct if you ignored the ATK issue, however, I'm looking at Iron Wall VS BTH. BTH would banish a card on the field, and since you can't activate a card that would do something that would be illegal activation, in which case, sending a card from the field elsewhere when there are no cards on the field, BTH can't be activated.

Floodgate Trap Hole can be activated and will resolve normally, because it doesnt target, doesnt send a card on the field anywhere, doesnt check anything from the monster to activate, and the field spell doesn't activate, so it doesn't miss timing.

Say your opponent had Yami on the field, and you had the new field spell. Their monsters wouldn't gain the ATK boost, because the opponent's Yami can't check the type, level/rank/link number, link markers, card type, or stats.

Also. Because they aren't considered on the field, this means multiple monsters can effectively occupy the same monster zone. However, cards that check monster zones or use them, like Senet Switch, Blasting Fuse, cant be activated. But, Link monsters can still be used. Despite this, you can still Summon multiple Synchro/Xyz/Fusion/Link monsters into your single EMZ, instead of the Linked Zones. If Yami Okoku, the new field spell, leaves the field, the player would select one of these monsters to keep, and send all others to the Graveyard, as per game mechanics.

Edited by frenzyhero, Yesterday, 02:09 AM.

notcleverusername

notcleverusername

¯\_(ツ)_/¯©

All I'm going to say is that you're undervaluing what Seraph can do by a scale of about 10. : P

Between my undervaluing and your overvaluing, I'm sure something will balance out somewhere.

Edited by notcleverusername, Today, 10:29 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CAContest, 43, Field Spell, Retrain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to the Dueling Network Forums!

To sign in, use your duelingnetwork.com account. If you do not have one, register here.