Photo

Blackwings March 2013

blackwings deck kalut to 3 will that be enough?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

infernitymage

infernitymage

Twisted steel and sex appeal

• Veteran Members
  • 2,888 posts
    • Time Online: 86d 23h 55m 40s
so, unless you've been living under a rock for the past few weeks, you know that blackings were given a slight boost by the banlist in the form of a 3rd copy of kalut the moonshadow, the mini-honest that allows even the smallest of blackwings to run over big monsters. with this in mind, I've constructed a blackwing deck of my own, but after a bit of testing, a bit of tweaking, and 6 consecutive losses to a friend's verz deck, I've decided to let the forums determine if my deck building skills are awful, verz is just a bad matchup, or if a 3rd kalut is just not enough to make blackwings decent. so, without further adieu, my decklist:

Posted Image

so, some of these choices are obvious. 3 kalut, 3 shura, 3 bora, 1 gale, and 1 whirlwind are all obvious cards. breeze is residual from when I was maining raptor wing strike, but that combo proved to be too situational. it's a dark deck, so DAD is present, and the staple-like veiler warrants bls to an extent. I've tested or considered most of the cards in the side deck, but I can't seem to find that right combination of cards to come up with a consistent, powerful deck. welp, that's it, please R/F, and don't let this die like every other deck topic I've posted.

EDIT: updated the decklist and after some testing, and wins agains mermails, agents, and a mirror match, I think I've found a decent formula. I'm still considering taking out breeze the shura play can get out gale fairly fast, and I may or may not add in another dark eruption. I want to make room for another mst, though 1 hasn't tested too badly, and either a 2nd zephyros or an armageddon knight to dump zephyros early, because I can normally make some really explosive plays if I open with zephyros/icarus or get him into the grave some other way really early game. knightmare and sylphine have both proven themselves worthy (knightmare especially so when I get him oout after I sack DAD), but the precautionary zenmaines I included seems to be unnecessary after testing, so I'd like to find a replacement for it, though the deck isn't particularly hard pressed for space (in the extra deck anyways) so once again, R/F suggestions are welcome

Edited by infernitymage, 26 February 2013 - 07:43 PM.

Trade thread ->http://forum.dueling...ome-in-and-see/ <- Trade thread

Posted Image

Nebuwah

Nebuwah

The Queen

• Veteran Members
  • 2,181 posts
    • Time Online: 171d 18h 30m 28s
I've done some testing for next-format Blackwings, but obviously since we're not actually in the new format it's impossible to be completely accurate, but here's what I would do:

-1 BLS ( Normally, I'm fine with BLS + 2 Veiler if you have LIGHTs in your extra deck that you can get to your grave easily, but you don't, so it has to go )
-1 Breeze ( Bad when you can't search it with Whirlwind, and even then it's only sort of decent )
-1 Zephyros ( Suffers from Ptolemys syndrome, i.e. it's not good in its own archetype's deck )
-2 Veiler
-1 Gorz
-2 Compuls
-1 Road

+1 Blizzard ( Obviously it has the potential to be dead, but getting it out is good and it can also bluff/ actually be an Icarus target )
+2 Sirocco ( Good beater, makes Vayu plays )
+1 Vayu ( Sura target, makes +1 Syncs if it's in the grave with Sirocco/ Armed Wing )
+2 MST
+1 Icarus
+2 Torrential

-1 Gaia Knight
-1 Evilswarm Knightmare
-1 Evilswarm Thanatos
-1 Zenmaines ( You're never going to get into a situation where you use your Kaluts and/or Gale to make this and actually win )

+1 Beastlord Volcan ( Can make decent plays with Blizzard + Bora to recycle Kaluts or Shuras )
+1 Silverwind the Ascendant ( For +1 Vayu plays )
+1 Blackship of Corn
+1 Photo Papiloperative

Your side deck is bad. Since they're optional and down to opinion I'll just list good side deck cards:

-Droll & Lock Bird
-Maxx "C"
-Effect Veiler
-Thunder King
-Skill Drain ( Pulling this out on Fire Kings after you've gotten out an Armed Wing/Armor Master/etc can be game-defining )
-Rivalry of Warlords
-Soul Drain
-Deck Devastation Virus
-Any number of MSTs not mained

The Vampire Prince

The Vampire Prince

I can take the sky from you

• Retired Staff
  • 2,381 posts
    • Time Online: 218d 20h 51m 29s
Blackwings are still tier three, they need at least another whirlwind to go anywhere else if you ask me.
I suggest the chaos build, since bls is an outstandingly amazing topdeck, that and the fact that blackwings hand is smaller by the turn :P they drop a lot fast but have no way to recover. With BLS and TK as well as DaD and perhaps Sorc they can compete with higher tiers if the player is skillful enough ;) Check out some other builds around and think about adding tks and veilers for chaos if you want.

prince_by_ikutothecat-d6ezj1h.png

infernitymage

infernitymage

• Veteran Members
  • 2,888 posts

I've done some testing for next-format Blackwings, but obviously since we're not actually in the new format it's impossible to be completely accurate, but here's what I would do:

-1 BLS ( Normally, I'm fine with BLS + 2 Veiler if you have LIGHTs in your extra deck that you can get to your grave easily, but you don't, so it has to go )
-1 Breeze ( Bad when you can't search it with Whirlwind, and even then it's only sort of decent )
-1 Zephyros ( Suffers from Ptolemys syndrome, i.e. it's not good in its own archetype's deck )
-2 Veiler
-1 Gorz
-2 Compuls
-1 Road

+1 Blizzard ( Obviously it has the potential to be dead, but getting it out is good and it can also bluff/ actually be an Icarus target )
+2 Sirocco ( Good beater, makes Vayu plays )
+1 Vayu ( Sura target, makes +1 Syncs if it's in the grave with Sirocco/ Armed Wing )
+2 MST
+1 Icarus
+2 Torrential

-1 Gaia Knight
-1 Evilswarm Knightmare
-1 Evilswarm Thanatos
-1 Zenmaines ( You're never going to get into a situation where you use your Kaluts and/or Gale to make this and actually win )

+1 Beastlord Volcan ( Can make decent plays with Blizzard + Bora to recycle Kaluts or Shuras )
+1 Silverwind the Ascendant ( For +1 Vayu plays )
+1 Blackship of Corn
+1 Photo Papiloperative

Your side deck is bad. Since they're optional and down to opinion I'll just list good side deck cards:

-Droll & Lock Bird
-Maxx "C"
-Effect Veiler
-Thunder King
-Skill Drain ( Pulling this out on Fire Kings after you've gotten out an Armed Wing/Armor Master/etc can be game-defining )
-Rivalry of Warlords
-Soul Drain
-Deck Devastation Virus
-Any number of MSTs not mained

"side deck cards are things I've tested or considered for the main deck" as in not intended to ba an "actual"side deck

I appreciate the long in descriptive post, but I don't quite get some things

1- + 1 icarus attack? I run 3
2- Why add another blizzard and then take out gaia knight? what if I should need a decent sized monster to run over thigngs
3- zephyros is by no means bad in this deck, and has proven himself useful multiple times with bora to go into rank 4 plays.

otherwise thank-you for your input

Posted Image

chaosgenius

chaosgenius

Veteran Member

• 551 posts
    • Time Online: 7d 11h 54m 38s
http://i.imgur.com/Kr2MjBL.png Deck is tested to do well, and Side Decks easily, which is something BWings have a little trouble with.
I don't run BLS because more often or not he's dead until Veiler is dropped. Only use BLS if you use Thunder King.
Kochi makes good Rank 4s, and makes it so I can get out Stardust/Scrap when I used to run it.
Dark Eruption gets back Kaluts, BLizzards, and other important stuff. It's mulitpurpose, and makes it so that you do not have to run 3 Blizzard, which is dead early game.
Keep Gorz, you drop hand size easily, and if you get nuked(JD), then this is perfect.
And Main at least 2 MST, they help greatly.
Also, make a good side deck, because right now those cards are just ones you want to run correct?

Edited by chaosgenius, 23 February 2013 - 09:14 PM.

Join us at the Chain Beat Guide and Discussion!

Posted Image

Lots of tips and cool techs to play with!

Beat those Elemental Dragon and Prophecy players on a daily basis!

Build those Chain links one step at a time!

!Bing!

!Bing!

• 226 posts
    • Time Online: 13d 14h 35m 29s
Don't make blackwings all about sycnhroing, i run blackwings, but my extera deck is mostly xyzs and they work awesomely
GETSUGA.....COWBOY!

LETS GET 'EM!

Posted Image

zdog307

zdog307

• 11 posts
    • Time Online: 9h 21m 15s
I'd say add the Dark Creator and Veil of Darkness. Veil of Darkness gives cannon fodder to Dark Armed Dragon and helps get rid of it when you draw it when there are too many dark monsters in the grave.

chaosgenius

chaosgenius

Veteran Member

• 551 posts

I'd say add the Dark Creator and Veil of Darkness. Veil of Darkness gives cannon fodder to Dark Armed Dragon and helps get rid of it when you draw it when there are too many dark monsters in the grave.

Dark Creator is Inconsistent, and you don't want to be banishing that much stuff. Veil of Darkness is also useless, because you want to keep your monsters in hand, not in the Grave.

Posted Image

GX-Kai

GX-Kai

Honorable Member

• 900 posts
    • Time Online: 42d 23h 57m 10s
  • Facebook:kai.nainggolan
  • Team:Team [Duel Like an Idol]

Don't make blackwings all about sycnhroing, i run blackwings, but my extera deck is mostly xyzs and they work awesomely

That's just like saying don't make Wind-Ups all about Xyzing. Blackwings are an archetype made during the Synchro era, thus it is meant to Synchro as reflected by why they have Blizzard and Gale. Of course now people put Xyz, but keep in mind that in their case, they sometimes are faster to Synchro than to Xyz.

tumblr_mir750KXQr1qefij1o1_500.gif

sigpic1318_1.gif

!Bing!

!Bing!

• 226 posts

That's just like saying don't make Wind-Ups all about Xyzing. Blackwings are an archetype made during the Synchro era, thus it is meant to Synchro as reflected by why they have Blizzard and Gale. Of course now people put Xyz, but keep in mind that in their case, they sometimes are faster to Synchro than to Xyz.

That's why you make the extra like 1/4 synchros and the other part xyzs wise guy and the only tuns you should have in there are the dar north and gale >>
GETSUGA.....COWBOY!

LETS GET 'EM!

Posted Image

chaos.knight199

chaos.knight199

#XinZhaoCarriesUOutOfBronzeV

• Super Moderator
  • 5,085 posts
    • Time Online: 177d 14h 6m 52s
  • Youtube:TheChaosknight199
  • Team:[BLC] Black Crow
-1 BLS
-2 Effect Veiler
+3 Staple Traps

BLS with only 2 Veiler is highly inconsistent. Often BLS will be a dead draw.
I would rather side the Veilers because they can be horrible against certain decks.
You need more traps for protection.

Most Helpful Forum Staff Member 2013 - Thanks for all of your support!

Tournament Organizer | Super Moderator | War Adjudicator | In-Game Administrator

natsukifinal3590D5236_zps98eb81dd.png

#Q4CeekaysEgo

"Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light." ~Norman B. Rice

infernitymage

infernitymage

• Veteran Members
  • 2,888 posts
ok, so far, the general consensus is to 86 the chaos ***** anybody else have an opinion, and what about the things in the side deck that I'm considering, anyone care to reason for or against those?

Posted Image

GX-Kai

GX-Kai

Honorable Member

• 900 posts
    • Time Online: 42d 23h 57m 10s
  • Facebook:kai.nainggolan
  • Team:Team [Duel Like an Idol]

That's why you make the extra like 1/4 synchros and the other part xyzs wise guy and the only tuns you should have in there are the dar north and gale >>

1/4 synchros? So only 3~4 synchros out of an 15 card extra deck?

tumblr_mir750KXQr1qefij1o1_500.gif

sigpic1318_1.gif

chaosgenius

chaosgenius

Veteran Member

• 551 posts
Get a Kochi, Vayu, Scrap, and Abyss Dweller somehow, and you should be good.

Then make a proper side.

Posted Image

Nebuwah

Nebuwah

The Queen

• Veteran Members
  • 2,181 posts
    • Time Online: 171d 18h 30m 28s

"side deck cards are things I've tested or considered for the main deck" as in not intended to ba an "actual"side deck

I appreciate the long in descriptive post, but I don't quite get some things

1- + 1 icarus attack? I run 3
2- Why add another blizzard and then take out gaia knight? what if I should need a decent sized monster to run over thigngs
3- zephyros is by no means bad in this deck, and has proven himself useful multiple times with bora to go into rank 4 plays.

otherwise thank-you for your input

I do apologise for misreading a part of your post about your side deck, though I do find it important to build a side deck that can counter popular decks but that's up to you, and not noticing your third Icarus Attack - I'd add Solemn Judgment over one of the Compulses in this case. Keeping the Gaia is viable, I do see how it would be useful against Dino Rabbit and other decks that drop monsters just above Armed Wing's ATK. Zephyros is preference, really, I find it bad because there's no way to get it to the grave without Foolish Burial ( which shouldn't be run in Blackwings ) or using up your normal summon, I find Shura > Whirlwind into Bora to be better for Xyz plays, personally.

The only problem with your claim is that the only lv 4 Blackwings worth running are Shura, Bora, and Zephyros if you like it, and the only way to make +0 Xyz plays is if you summon Shura with Whirlwind out. Kochi the Daybreak and Calima the Haze aren't worth the deck space and are total dead draws. Sure, Blackwings can implement Xyzs and use them well given the situation, but at the end of the day they are a synchro deck.

!Bing!

!Bing!

• 226 posts
@Nebuwah I play black wings irl and I destroy six sams(top tier versions), Dino rabbits, inzektors and other decks with my blackwings

With siding, unless I'm using Dino rabbits , I side a whole different deck ^^
GETSUGA.....COWBOY!

LETS GET 'EM!

Posted Image

hydro13

hydro13

Veteran Member

• 345 posts
    • Time Online: 6d 11h 53m 10s
i'd add Black-winged Dragon

ma0897

ma0897

• 3 posts
    • Time Online: 4h 12m 12s
I have run blackwings since they came out, and I am not impressed with 3 Kaluts. 2 is enough for me and any blackwing deck.
I would suggest:
- 1 B.L.S. - Just a dead draw in my opinion
+1 Blizzard- A good tuner and a good recycler from your grave
- 1 Kalut - 2 is enough
-1 Breeze - I have never used him, I think Gale, Blizzard, and Vayu are the best tuners
+1 Elphin - This is a dead draw sometimes, but it has gotten me out of a lot of pinches
+1 D.D. Crow- good card
+1 Vayu - either search it out with Shura or fodder it off. Great if you need a synchro in a pinch
I would suggest running Iron Chain Dragon. It is a great level 6, and works well with the blizzard + bringing back a level 4 from the grave. Also, put it to 3 Armed WIngs. The traps and spells will all be staples, besides black whirlwind.
Darkened gales, become the wings that will soar to heaven! Synchro Summon, Black- Feather Armored Wing!

infernitymage

infernitymage

• Veteran Members
  • 2,888 posts
updated op after some testing, le bump

Posted Image

ma0897

ma0897

• 3 posts
    • Time Online: 4h 12m 12s
stuff blackwing players don't say

i'd add Black-winged Dragon

Darkened gales, become the wings that will soar to heaven! Synchro Summon, Black- Feather Armored Wing!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blackwings, deck, kalut to 3, will that be enough?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to the Dueling Network Forums!

To sign in, use your duelingnetwork.com account. If you do not have one, register here.