• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

lord_ivan

lord_ivan

Honorable Member

• 973 posts
    • Time Online: 72d 21h 3m 53s
  • Team:[KORT] Knight Of the Round Table

So I have noticed that the popularity of Evilswarms have greatly increased on Dueling Network, maybe this is because of the release of the Elemental Dragons in Lord of the Tachyon Galaxy (also known as Herp Derp Spaam Rank 7 Deck) since Ophion stop this deck like no other, some may say "hey look Blaster effect!" but still there are cards like Safe Zone that laugh at your attempts to get rid of that pesky Dragon, most of us already know the power of those Dragons, so you're either running something at the same level or look at your cards being destroyed/stealed by Dragossack/Big Eye effects.
Another reason is the release of Spellbook Judgment Day in the same set, this card let Spellbooks get easy +1's in a single turn (usually >+5), this deck engine is the use of the spells that can search for others that search for others,etc.etc. Again Evilswarms got the key to beat this deck in the form of Eradicator Epidermic Virus, they can summon dark monsters of at least 2500 rather easy and once they hit Eradicator is game over for Prophecy.

Now why I'm talking about this? My favorite decks are the ones that involve dragons/synchros, as you know most of the these decks need to summon high level monsters to get the deck rolling, now I see everybody using Evilswarms, where is the fun?

300px-EvilswarmOphion-DT07-EN-DSPR-DT.pn300px-EvilswarmKerykeion-DS13-JP-SR.png

This thread is to show you the way to beat Evilswarms, so you can keep having fun playing with your Synchro decks, Hero, Prophecy, GB, Hieratic, Fire Kings, Agents, well every other deck that relies on it's high level monsters to seal the game.

300px-ElectricVirus-BATT-EN-SFR-UE.jpg

Electric Virus, remember this card being used back again vs Rescue Rabbit and it's Laggia/Dolkka? yes it works vs Ophion too, you can steal Ophion then tribute to summon your high level dragon, that way you can kill two birds with one stone, or even better steal one and make it battle vs a 2nd Ophion. The only downside is that it have weaknesses like D. Fissure/Macro Cosmos, also needing a monster that can be summoned tributing Ophion, so this card only runs effective vs Ophion on decks like Hieratics which have a lot of lvl 5/6.

Edit: this card can also be effective in other decks if you run 1 copy of Infestation Terminus along with Electric Virus, using Ophion effect detaching its last material to search for Terminus from your deck.

MorphingJar2-LCYW-EN-SR-1E.png

This is a very old card but as many other old cards it have a devastating effect, it works exceptionally well vs Evilswarms, so your opponent have 2 Evilswarm Ophion on the field+any other friend, just set Morphing and see him do his thing when flipped face-up on the damage step, since it doesn't destroy is immune to Forbidden Dress (unlike Ryko), it's immune to Safe Zone since it don't targets neither destroy, also it get rids of every single other monster not only 1 like other cards would do, your opponent will not get to summon a monster from any Xyz since they are not sent to the Main Deck but Extra Deck instead and if it was the only monster on your field you will not have to mill any cards (unless you gain advantage from milling High level monsters, which is another reason to use this), I find this card to be one of the BEST counters to Evilswarms nowadays.

300px-Metaion%2CtheTimelord-PHSW-EN-ScR-

This card can solo an entire army, your opponent have multiple Ophions/Safe Zones/Forbidden Dress/etc.? this card really doesn't care, it will take down any target you show to him, this card is one of your best bets to take down the Evilswarm Archetype so don't forget to hire him if you ever face them again (and you will...), be aware of CED/D.Prison.

300px-Tsukuyomi-AP01-EN-UtR-UE.png

Thanks to the new banlist we can use this card more efficiently because of it being semi-limited, good effect is a BoM with legs, but what makes this card so useful this format? it can put cards like Ophion/Jowgen face-down with the advantage of being a monster card (doesn't care of cards like Pandemic/Wisdom), and being a spirit means it's recyclable so if your opponent makes it to summon another Ophion you can sumon this card on the next turn. 

300px-PsiBlocker-BP01-EN-C-1E.png

A newly released card, many people think it works exactly as Prohibition but Konami specified otherwise in their blog:

http://www.konami.co...rticles/?p=2395

It being able to affect cards already on the field makes it a very unique type of card, it can work against any matchup, call Ophion if you are playing vs Evilswarms, call Veiler if you want to go for an OTK, and just like Shockmaster its effects remain active even if its sent to the graveyard!

300px-NeoSpacianGrandMole-DT07-EN-DNPR-D

Sharing some similarities with Metaion as both send the opponent's monster to the hand/extra deck but also being recyclable because of its effect make Grand Mole a very useful card when playing against Evilswarms, don't forget that just like Metaion it doesn't target so it's unaffected by Safe Zone/Dress.

300px-FiendishChain-SDWA-EN-C-1E.png

This card can stop Ophion effects but it also stop it from attacking! Huh you say Forbidden Lance/Infestation Pandemic? well yeah it might work for one turn but the next one Fiendish Chain will affect Ophion again, this card also works amazing vs Evilswarm Bahamut, see them waste a card from their hand just to see that their Xyz cannot even attack. The only backside of this card is that it's vulnerable to MST/Decree.

300px-ShadowImprisoningMirror-DT07-EN-DN

This card worked before when Darkworlds were running rampant now it works vs Evilswarms too, this card stops Ophion from search any Infestation card, it stop Kerykeion from doing quick Ophion (if you chain it to it's effect they will still have to banish an Evilswarm as cost), it stops Thunderbird effect, Bahamut effect, well it stop them in many ways.

If most of your monsters are of the same type then don't forget to add this card:

300px-RivalryofWarlords-SDWA-EN-C-1E.png

Why to wait until your opponent already have those bosses when you could have stop them from the very start, Rivalry of Warlords works really great vs Evilswarms since every single Evilswarm monster is from a different type than the others, if you have already lost game 1 then don't forget to add this card as it works the best if it's set on the first turn.

300px-ForbiddenLance-BP01-EN-C-1E.png

If you are not already maining this card the think again, this card usefulness have raised since Fire Fists were released on Cosmo Blazer but it also works very well vs Evilswarms, as we know it protects from cards like Dark Hole/BTH/Mirror Force but also works on battle, you can use it on the dmg step so even a monster with only 1800 attack can beat Evilswarm Ophion, it's immune to Pandemic since that card cannot be used on the dmg step.

Time ago a friend told me about this card, I was freaked out on how flexible this card could be, every single deck could use it and it had almost no weaknesses, here it is:

300px-SpaceCyclone-PHSW-EN-C-1E.png

This card only work is to beat Ophion, most Evilswarm players use Ophion effect to search for Infestation Pandemic so it's unaffected by cards like Mirror Force/Dark Hole/ D. Prison, etc. that way they get one protection card while having the Lockdown effect, now with this card that "smart" play will turn into a double-edged effect, with this the remaining Xyz material left on Ophion will be detached, Forbidden Lance/Pandemic? they cannot use them since this card is not affecting Ophion but the Xyz Materials, Safe Zone? the same thing, since it's a Quick effect you can use it on your opponent's Battle Phase, detach the last Xyz material from Ophion and summon Gorz/Tragoedia.

So from now on the next time you face Evilswarms it will no longer be a reason to scoop, use this cards wisely and show no mercy.

Edited by lord_ivan, 01 July 2013 - 09:31 PM.

Dalek Rek

Dalek Rek

• 118 posts
    • Time Online: 33d 23h 34m 24s
Okay, seriously? Is Ophion really so overpowered that it warrants an entire article on how to beat him? I've seriously never had a problem with killing this thing. And thats with my two main decks being Junk Doppel and Gem-Knight.

In retrospect, my response at first was rather tactless. You cover good strategies for how to defeat OPhion, and the article is well written. I apologize if I caused offense with my original statement, its just that I see Ophion being extremely over-hyped for no real reason. Personally, I find his big brother Bahamut to be more unbalanced by far.

Edited by Dalek Rek, 08 March 2013 - 01:53 AM.

Posted Image

lord_ivan

lord_ivan

Honorable Member

• 973 posts

Okay, seriously? Is Ophion really so overpowered that it warrants an entire article on how to beat him? I've seriously never had a problem with killing this thing. And thats with my two main decks being Junk Doppel and Gem-Knight.

In retrospect, my response at first was rather tactless. You cover good strategies for how to defeat OPhion, and the article is well written. I apologize if I caused offense with my original statement, its just that I see Ophion being extremely over-hyped for no real reason. Personally, I find his big brother Bahamut to be more unbalanced by far.

I knew this kind of thoughts would raise in my article, Junk Doppel can make a lot of things even with Ophion on the field like Armory Arm, etc. so it's rather "easy" to get rid of him and with Gem-Knights you can always go Rank 4, but there are decks that can do NOTHING at all vs Ophion unless they have some counter already mained, I'm an Evilswarm player too so I know the power of these guys, I know Bahamut is overpowered but it needs at least 3 Evilswarm and is not often seen as Ophion, also Ophion is the "thing" that makes Evilswarms such a good anti-meta choice nowadays.
I made this article because many of my friends had the same problem, many times I faced Synchro/etc. decks it was auto-scoop, yeah maybe it's a little overkill to make an article of a single card (maybe it should go to Single Card Discussion, but there is no more) but I tried to cover most Ophion weaknesses so it's worth it.

Geminia999

Geminia999

Ocean Dragon Lord

• Veteran Members
  • 5,772 posts
    • Time Online: 244d 22h 53m 34s
  • Team:Who needs one
Posted Image
Forgot that guy

DbOfRaW.jpg

Dalek Rek

Dalek Rek

• 118 posts
    • Time Online: 33d 23h 34m 24s

I knew this kind of thoughts would raise in my article, Junk Doppel can make a lot of things even with Ophion on the field like Armory Arm, etc. so it's rather "easy" to get rid of him and with Gem-Knights you can always go Rank 4, but there are decks that can do NOTHING at all vs Ophion unless they have some counter already mained, I'm an Evilswarm player too so I know the power of these guys, I know Bahamut is overpowered but it needs at least 3 Evilswarm and is not often seen as Ophion, also Ophion is the "thing" that makes Evilswarms such a good anti-meta choice nowadays.
I made this article because many of my friends had the same problem, many times I faced Synchro/etc. decks it was auto-scoop, yeah maybe it's a little overkill to make an article of a single card (maybe it should go to Single Card Discussion, but there is no more) but I tried to cover most Ophion weaknesses so it's worth it.

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Bahamut is 2 Evilswarms, not 3. Thats Ouroborous (or however the heck you spell that lol).

Also, while Ophion may be powerful, I just dont think it warrants an entire article. If your deck is really such a weird matchup that it is taken out by a single card, maybe you should look at the deck itself and main more cards to cover weaknesses like that. If the article was on Evilswarms overall, then I'd say its awesome. you did a very good job outlining Ophion, I just dont think it's overkill to make a single card article, when the same archetype still has Bahamut going "I stole your monster permanently, I can use it's effect, and both me and the monster I just stole can attack this turn. Behold the power of the mighty -1"
Posted Image

lord_ivan

lord_ivan

Honorable Member

• 973 posts

I'm gonna go ahead and say that Bahamut is 2 Evilswarms, not 3. Thats Ouroborous (or however the heck you spell that lol).

Also, while Ophion may be powerful, I just dont think it warrants an entire article. If your deck is really such a weird matchup that it is taken out by a single card, maybe you should look at the deck itself and main more cards to cover weaknesses like that. If the article was on Evilswarms overall, then I'd say its awesome. you did a very good job outlining Ophion, I just dont think it's overkill to make a single card article, when the same archetype still has Bahamut going "I stole your monster permanently, I can use it's effect, and both me and the monster I just stole can attack this turn. Behold the power of the mighty -1"

By Bahamut needing 3 Evilswarms I meant 2 Evilswarms to Xyz summon it and 1 to use it's effect otherwise why would you summon it?, I can make some changes for this article to be "How to beat Evilswarms" anyway their main boss is Ophion, if you guys would like it more that way there is no problem with me.

Sky Star: Vesperia!

Sky Star: Vesperia!

• 155 posts
    • Time Online: 9d 5h 39m 59s
  • Facebook:www.facebook.com/ryanoriasher
  • Twitter:@phattboyslim
  • Youtube:https://www.youtube.com/user/VesperiatheBrave
Starleige Paladynamo says hi ;)
"Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality"

Posted Image

https://www.youtube.com/user/VesperiatheBrave

MrMcThrasher

MrMcThrasher

Reign In Blood

• Veteran Members
  • 3,927 posts
    • Time Online: 62d 1h 49m 57s
  • Team:[BOB] Band Of Brothers
Yeah, this never actually needed to be an article.

f3aHfUG.gif

lord_ivan

lord_ivan

Honorable Member

• 973 posts
Ok after multiple opinions of how an article of only Ophion is not worth it I updated the article so it now show how to counter the whole Evilswarm archetype.

Megames1

Megames1

Chirp Da Nurp

• Veteran Members
  • 1,363 posts
    • Time Online: 156d 3h 46m 51s
  • Facebook:Isayah Phanord
  • Youtube:TheMegames1
  • Team:[DLLR] Cause we got money!
Cards such as Effect Veiler, Breakthrough Skill (especially the 2nd effect), Fiendish Chain, Lance (Chain to Pandemic), Generic Rank 4s, and Lava Golrm **Looks at TGT James**.

Check out my card topics. They not half bad.

• Number C102: Fallen Seraph - Noble Archfiend (Anime Effect Discussion)
  • Number 103: Ragna Zero (Anime Effect Discussion)
  • Number C103: Ragna Infinity (Anime Effect Discussion)
  • Rank-Up-Magic Quick Chaos & Admire Des Thousand (Anime Effect Discussion)

lord_ivan

lord_ivan

Honorable Member

• 973 posts

Cards such as Effect Veiler, Breakthrough Skill (especially the 2nd effect), Fiendish Chain, Lance (Chain to Pandemic), Generic Rank 4s, and Lava Golrm **Looks at TGT James**.

Breaktrough Skill is very interesting, it can stop a Kerkeion during their turn then if they get to summon Ophion you can use 2nd eff on your turn, very versatile.

taproot

taproot

Dudley Emperor

• Veteran Members
  • 2,555 posts
    • Time Online: 41d 8h 53m 48s
  • Team:Team Elemental Mistress
You do realize Evilswarm run Safe Zone, right? The only card on the list that answers a Safe Zone'd Ophion is Rivalry of the Warlords. The way to beat Evilswarms is to either drop Shadow Imprisoning Mirror on them or stop them from going into Ophion.

As far as stopping Ophion from dropping goes, you have a couple of options. Overworked stops them from using Thunderbird to form it. Summon limit shuts down the deck completely and turns Rabbit into a dead draw, but of the decks you listed, only GB, Prophecy, and Fire Kings have access to it. Rivalry of the Warlords shuts down the deck, because nobody shares a type with anybody else. Thunder King Rai-Oh can stop Bahamut and Ophion from connecting with the field, though for decks like Prophecy, that's not always an option.

Even if Ophion lands, there are options to take him out. Ryko can take down Opion whether or not Safe Zone is on him. Eradicator Epidemic Virus can force an early Pandemic, and it's already one of the better side-deck cards of the format anyway.

Anbu-of-Sand

Anbu-of-Sand

۰·۰·۰·۰Get Stunned۰·۰·۰·۰

• Veteran Members
  • 3,017 posts
    • Time Online: 83d 17h 37m 41s
Posted Image

Like Taproot said, surprised that this isn't in the OP.

kieron

kieron

Vault Master

• Retired Staff
  • 1,022 posts
    • Time Online: 29d 19h 58m 53s
  • Team:TDS2
Shadow-imprisoning mirror or skill drain and they are screwed

lord_ivan

lord_ivan

Honorable Member

• 973 posts
Updated the article with some of your suggestions and some techs I have found that work extremely well vs Evilswarms, also I "organized" the article so it now looks better to the eyes.

skylinemaster

skylinemaster

Veteran Member

• 639 posts
    • Time Online: 26d 6h 55m 37s
What about more bouncing cards like Penguin Soldier or set cards like Snowman eater? Metaion is an interesting card I must admit.

lord_ivan

lord_ivan

Honorable Member

• 973 posts

What about more bouncing cards like Penguin Soldier or set cards like Snowman eater? Metaion is an interesting card I must admit.

I think Morphing Jar do the job better, Penguin Soldier return the monsters to the hand so they can use them next turn, and Snowman eater can be stopped by Forbidden Dress which is being usually mained on Evilswarms, Morphing can make their Thunderbird/Kerykeion turn into Vanillas or even worse if they are running hand traps like Effect Veiler/Maxx C.

!Cosmos_Savior!

!Cosmos_Savior!

DNF's Official Cosmos Savior

• 742 posts
    • Time Online: 29d 10h 38m 57s
  • Team:SFC2
Im teching a morphing now vs lswarm thx ivan :P

S1e12_Waddles_with_candy_in_a_bowl.gif

My_Body_is_Ready_gif.gif

KingWolfy2: You are the luckiest ***** I have ever met.

! ! ! ! ! ! bestxD!: Cosmos has the best signature on DNF.

lord_ivan

lord_ivan

Honorable Member

• 973 posts

Im teching a morphing now vs lswarm thx ivan :P

Yeah it's a very good card to play vs evilswarm, it's very hard to play around it unless they have something like CED and it can be used on decks that rely on their normal summon like Dragunity so you can have a chance to otk the next turn(cards like Tsukuyomi/Blocker are more used on decks that don't care of normal summons like Rulers).

I have updated the list, please tell me of any other cards you find useful when playing vs Evilswarms so I can add them to the OP.

Buried Android

Buried Android

• 192 posts
    • Time Online: 3d 21h 36m 12s

Yeah, this never actually needed to be an article.

well... with the current TCG Advanced Format in real life, this is a serious concern for E-Drag players, Prophecy players, Dark World players, Synchro players, Fire King players... the list just keeps going on. I go to one of the largest and most funded locals in the USA down in SA Texas, and of course there are some kids or people who just aren't with it, but the majority of the decks are Evilswarm, E-Drags (TONS!), and Prophecy. People are going to want to know how to side against it, it is just too good of a card right now, It shuts decks down completely, and people don't know how to deal with all of the protection spells and traps. With Master Key Beetle coming in August to the TCG, this will be even more of a concern.

What I am getting at is; this topic was VERY much needed, since people still don't know how to play against them. I myself play Evilswarms in real life, and understand that If people knew how to side against them, that Evilswarm wouldn't top as much as other decks. With this artical, it gives everyone information and variety on how to get over the Ophion. I don't want to hate on your comment, but It kind of was wrong...

ALSO TO LORD_IVAN:

Thanks for posting the information even though it doesn't apply to me since I am an Evilswarm player. I would like to say one card that completely obliterates Evilswarm as well as many many many other decks, I love siding and even maining him.

*drum roll*

Neo-Spacian Grand Mole

Shadow-imprisoning mirror or skill drain and they are screwed

no not at all, you forgot about one card my friend.

Pandemic. 

(and also they can side in triple MST)

MrMcThrasher

MrMcThrasher

Reign In Blood

• Veteran Members
  • 3,927 posts

well... with the current TCG Advanced Format in real life, this is a serious concern for E-Drag players, Prophecy players, Dark World players, Synchro players, Fire King players... the list just keeps going on. I go to one of the largest and most funded locals in the USA down in SA Texas, and of course there are some kids or people who just aren't with it, but the majority of the decks are Evilswarm, E-Drags (TONS!), and Prophecy. People are going to want to know how to side against it, it is just too good of a card right now, It shuts decks down completely, and people don't know how to deal with all of the protection spells and traps. With Master Key Beetle coming in August to the TCG, this will be even more of a concern.

My point is that we do not need an article on how to beat every top deck.  It's unnecessary.   If they had decided to make a guide on the deck itself, that would've been great.

f3aHfUG.gif

Buried Android

Buried Android

• 192 posts
    • Time Online: 3d 21h 36m 12s

My point is that we do not need an article on how to beat every top deck.  It's unnecessary.   If they had decided to make a guide on the deck itself, that would've been great.

True, but this one was needed.

lord_ivan

lord_ivan

Honorable Member

• 973 posts

What I am getting at is; this topic was VERY much needed, since people still don't know how to play against them. I myself play Evilswarms in real life, and understand that If people knew how to side against them, that Evilswarm wouldn't top as much as other decks. With this artical, it gives everyone information and variety on how to get over the Ophion. I don't want to hate on your comment, but It kind of was wrong...

ALSO TO LORD_IVAN:

Thanks for posting the information even though it doesn't apply to me since I am an Evilswarm player. I would like to say one card that completely obliterates Evilswarm as well as many many many other decks, I love siding and even maining him.

*drum roll*

Neo-Spacian Grand Mole

no not at all, you forgot about one card my friend.

Pandemic. 

(and also they can side in triple MST)

Thanks for the feedback, Grand Mole is a very interesting card as it works like Metaion but it recycle itself with its effect, obviously Metaion is better vs bigger fields but most of the time Evilswarm players end their turn with a single Ophion as they might want a backup just in case their opponent get rid of its Ophion with Blaster,etc. also leaving 2 Ophion on the field make it very vulnerable to Electric Virus, I'll add it to the OP.

There are tons of guides/discussions of decks already (there is even a place on the forum for that called "Archetype & Deck Discussions"), but in most of these threads people only discuss about the main deck, things like extra deck/side deck are not commonly discussed (maybe because many people like more to play in singles than matches), but in the competitive scene "side decking" is a very important tool you have as a player otherwise how can you beat another player if your main/extra deck is almost the same? obviously skill is a thing but in a big tournament most of your opponents should be skilled, here is where the side deck choices make the difference between winning or losing, and looking how many people had a very hard time facing this deck I decided to made the thread focused on side decking against Evilswarms.

MrMcThrasher

MrMcThrasher

Reign In Blood

• Veteran Members
  • 3,927 posts

Thanks for the feedback, Grand Mole is a very interesting card as it works like Metaion but it recycle itself with its effect, obviously Metaion is better vs bigger fields but most of the time Evilswarm players end their turn with a single Ophion as they might want a backup just in case their opponent get rid of its Ophion with Blaster,etc. also leaving 2 Ophion on the field make it very vulnerable to Electric Virus, I'll add it to the OP.

There are tons of guides/discussions of decks already (there is even a place on the forum for that called "Archetype & Deck Discussions"), but in most of these threads people only discuss about the main deck, things like extra deck/side deck are not commonly discussed (maybe because many people like more to play in singles than matches), but in the competitive scene "side decking" is a very important tool you have as a player otherwise how can you beat another player if your main/extra deck is almost the same? obviously skill is a thing but in a big tournament most of your opponents should be skilled, here is where the side deck choices make the difference between winning or losing, and looking how many people had a very hard time facing this deck I decided to made the thread focused on side decking against Evilswarms.

That's why in my guides I write what to side in while playing the deck and what to side in while playing against it.  It makes it complete.

f3aHfUG.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ophion go die, Evilswarms, Not butthurt at all, Anti-Anti-Meta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to the Dueling Network Forums!

To sign in, use your duelingnetwork.com account. If you do not have one, register here.