Photo

Add and AFK button

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

shikamaru_l

shikamaru_l

• 2 posts
    • Time Online: 37m 42s

It is clear from playing dueling network at all hours of the day the call admin button is almost useless waiting 5-10 min for an afk check. Adding an AFK check button which allows the other player to press within a minute or two to show the player is there or automatically admits defeat seems like an option. 

thoughts, opinions?

Lyoko15

Lyoko15

• 64 posts
    • Time Online: 18d 6h 44m 23s

It does sound interresting, however I can see people using it for instant wins on people who warn they have to go to the bathroom or are being called, things like that.

DragonMasterLance

DragonMasterLance

Veteran Member

• 454 posts
    • Time Online: 18d 21h 8m 24s
For this idea to be feasible it would need to be 6 minutes.

But I suppose it is an interesting idea that has some potential.

However what will happen when they click it right before the timer ends and then go AFK again after that? You would need to propose a solution to this.

“I have grown tired once again of those who limit their study of the game to armchair judging as opposed to ACTUAL judging with constant real life involvement in the physical game.”

~John Danker

sherryann

sherryann

DN's Dark Magician Girl

• Veteran Members
  • 1,206 posts
    • Time Online: 24d 5h 12m 20s
  • Team:[DLLR] - Team'd Up Mage

It doesn't seem to fair for me.. Just one minute.

I mean some people (including myself, actually) might just check something on other tabs while dueling, believing that the opponent would have some fun with their own move.

cuLdvcR.gif

Fox Rider

Fox Rider

• 57 posts
    • Time Online: 2d 21h 54m 48s

I think AFK calls should have priority over regular ones. I'm not in favor of another button, just add priority levels.

g5cBk.png

Junior Bucks

Junior Bucks

I got that Justin Bieber Please Believe it.

• Veteran Members
  • 630 posts
    • Time Online: 56d 19h 4m 51s

For this idea to be feasible it would need to be 6 minutes.

But I suppose it is an interesting idea that has some potential.

However what will happen when they click it right before the timer ends and then go AFK again after that? You would need to propose a solution to this.

Well to back him up, how about the AFK button can be used only ONCE per duel, (As you're not suppose to be afk at all, if you joined the pool but things do come up.) So Once per duel limit seems fair enough?

KaSlaps

KaSlaps

best title goes here

• Veteran Members
  • 2,364 posts
    • Time Online: 117d 15h 48m 12s

No. AFK buttons shouldn't be implemented.

You can't just shout "yeah I'm here" from the other side of a tournament and stay over there and NOT get punished for it.

Slow play is slow play and should be treated as such rather than making random buttons that clog the manual aspect of the game.

If your opponent isn't paying attention or even at the screen for an extended period of time, they shouldn't be considered playing.

Also, I don't think there's a problem with typing "I'm here" or similar into the duel chat. Takes probably the same amount of time it would to locate this button and click it.

DragonMasterLance

DragonMasterLance

Veteran Member

• 454 posts

Well to back him up, how about the AFK button can be used only ONCE per duel, (As you're not suppose to be afk at all, if you joined the pool but things do come up.) So Once per duel limit seems fair enough?

So you're saying if I press the AFK button and my opponent clicks it then they can freely go AFK since I cannot press the AFK button on them again?

I think AFK calls should have priority over regular ones. I'm not in favor of another button, just add priority levels.

What makes them more special than other calls? If this happened then people would start calling AFK for ruling/cheating since it would get an admin faster.

“I have grown tired once again of those who limit their study of the game to armchair judging as opposed to ACTUAL judging with constant real life involvement in the physical game.”

~John Danker

dabestgamer

dabestgamer

DBG

• 1,316 posts
    • Time Online: 110d 14h 56m 5s

Calls will always be answered in the order they were placed. No exceptions.

Especially since people don't really care enough about the different types of calls to actually put the correct type.

You can't beat me! I AM DABESTGAMER!!!

My "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Set

Posted Image

Junior Bucks

Junior Bucks

I got that Justin Bieber Please Believe it.

• Veteran Members
  • 630 posts
    • Time Online: 56d 19h 4m 51s

So you're saying if I press the AFK button and my opponent clicks it then they can freely go AFK since I cannot press the AFK button on them again?

What makes them more special than other calls? If this happened then people would start calling AFK for ruling/cheating since it would get an admin faster.

I must've misread this topic, cause i don't understand your latest post lance. Anyway i thought the op meant : you can click the button(AFK) to let your opponent know you're afk, and my point was: each player can only use the AFK button once per duel, and than if the opponent goes AFK again, just call an admin for AFK.

DragonMasterLance

DragonMasterLance

Veteran Member

• 454 posts

I must've misread this topic, cause i don't understand your latest post lance. Anyway i thought the op meant : you can click the button(AFK) to let your opponent know you're afk, and my point was: each player can only use the AFK button once per duel, and than if the opponent goes AFK again, just call an admin for AFK.

If a player thinks the opponent is AFK, then they can press the AFK button.

The opponent will then have a certain amount of time to also click this button to confirm that they are there.

That's how I have interpreted it.

~John Danker

UXLZ

UXLZ

• 239 posts
    • Time Online: 17d 6h 28m 51s
  • Team:[GFX] Team Graphics
  • Location:Δ Hidden Forbidden Holy Ground - The Hulle Granz Cathedral

If a player thinks the opponent is AFK, then they can press the AFK button.

The opponent will then have a certain amount of time to also click this button to confirm that they are there.

That's how I have interpreted it.

I, also.

Personally I believe this would never work. The time limit would have to be far larger than one or two minutes due to the potential for abuse, and at that point... Why not just call an admin?

Crazy_zps9e0acd47.png

Elemental Embodiment of the Rain

Soracchi

Soracchi

• 132 posts
    • Time Online: 16d 20h 4m 36s
  • Team:[קt] ρℓαѕмα тσя¢н

or another potential idea rather than an AFK button, have a forced timer for judging significant moves.  (such as summoning a monster, declaring an attack, removing your card), while excluding things such as xyz deck checks, hand shuffles etc.... it sounds like it could be slightly complicated but it could ensure you are forced to keep the relevant part  (the none 'thinking time') of a duel happening.  The timer should be clear for each player, which would give no "if ands or buts" to why you were afk.  If you're dueling in rated (which is the only place this should be mandated) then you are obligated to play at a reasonable pace and be not be gone.  Each duel lasts approximately 15 minutes (which a player knows before starting the game) so if you can't commit the time, still playing anyway then you deserve to lose that game even if for potty breaks, mom or dad calls you or any other reason.  It's rude to be afk in rated (almost always against people you don't know) and this would be a complicated but really help us waiters out there.  -->Note: The current system calling an admin can take just as long if not longer than the other person coming back.  and if you wait for an admin for an additional time after they get back, it only results in warning even if in the chat it shows the opp was gone for a significant  time (we're talking 5-10 minutes!).  Bottom line: the afk admin button feature is better than nothing, but can cause more waiting than just waiting for the opp to get back.  (we'll just pretend there is always an abundance of admins online :s)  and would love if the higher ups would put a spot somewhere on their to do list a potential way to fix this :D!  

XwtnqaP.png?1

A World where The Harder you look The more Color you find in this Black and White World

xEmomwR.png?2

Guardian of Light and Darkness Soracchi

6RjaDif.png?3

Sora's Watchful Eyes

GentleManOf69

GentleManOf69

• 146 posts
    • Time Online: 5d 8h 7m 52s
  • Team:black crown

i say add the button but make it more efficient

like instead of 2mins make it like 3-6 minutes.

that as well fixes boosting

.............That's Cute

>>>>>>>>NEW account : Dro2Live

genexwrecker

genexwrecker

The dnf suggestion Professional

• Veteran Members
  • 7,641 posts
    • Time Online: 217d 1h 11m 46s

hey i have your solution

take a screenshot

take another 6 min later

boom malicious afk

73fz.png

cDmiCbn.png

yU6bUjL.png

ItyCqOB.png

If you want to know if a suggestion has been accepted or denied before and it is not in dets heard it before topic feel free to ask me on my profile feed. I know the most about the suggestions and what has been accepted,denied,and suggested in the past.(aka I am a nerd in that section)

Auke1993

Auke1993

3000 Brigade

• In-game Administrator
  • 6,434 posts
    • Time Online: 292d 23h 53m 39s
  • Facebook:Auke1993
  • Twitter:Auke1993
  • Youtube:Auke1993
  • Team:Diamond Shard Meteors

hey i have your solution

take a screenshot

take another 6 min later

boom malicious afk

That's a Game/Matchloss. Malicious AFK is only the case in a losing position or if it's clear from what was said that you're purposely making the opponent wait for nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Auke1993

EurekaTeamRockets_zpsb7a78274.png                  SaveAudino.png

Akeno

Akeno

Hand Made Fluids

• 544 posts
    • Time Online: 64d 6h 54m 52s
  • Facebook:How does a niqqa link facebook for strangers?
  • Twitter:YouTwitface
  • Youtube:.com
  • Team:Free Agent

AFK > Harassment.

Wow you sir are genius. 

No one really gives a damn

umbp4k3.png

funny-gifs-anime.gif

Goddess of War

Goddess of War

• 229 posts
    • Time Online: 13d 5h 6m 50s

A lot of people don't read the rules as it is. I've played opponent's that use the call an admin button the second I say brb cuz they can't wait. There r a lot of impaitent people on DN who would abuse an AFK button just like people abuse the duel notes and the call an admin button. Then what, if someone abuses the button the other person will probably just end up calling an admin. I honestly don't think people going AFK is that common. I don't think it's a big enough problem that DN needs to go through the trouble of making an AFK button. I think it would cause more trouble than it would help.

b75i.png

LSGM0

LSGM0

• 15 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 3h 47m 6s
  • Location:The shadow and the smoke in your eyes; the ghost that hides in the night.

I didn't read all the posts, so bear with me. I think there should be an AFK button to press before you go AFK, where you type a reason. This let's your opponent know that you aren't ignoring them. By extension, I've taken longer than 5 minutes in the washroom, so I think 10 would be fair. At this time, the opponent is allowed to leave with a draw while the person that clicked the away button is away, yet only until the 10-15 minutes is up. After that, it's an automatic defeat. There would be no need to call the admin about it during that time period, because you can either leave or wait patiently without the admin. The admins would then be able to do better things than stare at a screen for 5 minutes waiting for someone to come back. I'm sure that's not the funnest part of their job.

My proposal: The AFK button should be for the AFK person and not the person complaining about it.

genexwrecker

genexwrecker

The dnf suggestion Professional

• Veteran Members
  • 7,641 posts
    • Time Online: 217d 1h 11m 46s

Calls will always be answered in the order they were placed. No exceptions.

Especially since people don't really care enough about the different types of calls to actually put the correct type.

there is also the thing that people make an afk call and then it chances to a ruling/harassment call

stuff can happen between calling and the admin arriving to change the purpose of the call

73fz.png

cDmiCbn.png

yU6bUjL.png

ItyCqOB.png

If you want to know if a suggestion has been accepted or denied before and it is not in dets heard it before topic feel free to ask me on my profile feed. I know the most about the suggestions and what has been accepted,denied,and suggested in the past.(aka I am a nerd in that section)

dabestgamer

dabestgamer

DBG

• 1,316 posts
    • Time Online: 110d 14h 56m 5s

or another potential idea rather than an AFK button, have a forced timer for judging significant moves.  (such as summoning a monster, declaring an attack, removing your card), while excluding things such as xyz deck checks, hand shuffles etc.... it sounds like it could be slightly complicated but it could ensure you are forced to keep the relevant part  (the none 'thinking time') of a duel happening.  The timer should be clear for each player, which would give no "if ands or buts" to why you were afk.  If you're dueling in rated (which is the only place this should be mandated) then you are obligated to play at a reasonable pace and be not be gone.  Each duel lasts approximately 15 minutes (which a player knows before starting the game) so if you can't commit the time, still playing anyway then you deserve to lose that game even if for potty breaks, mom or dad calls you or any other reason.  It's rude to be afk in rated (almost always against people you don't know) and this would be a complicated but really help us waiters out there.  -->Note: The current system calling an admin can take just as long if not longer than the other person coming back.  and if you wait for an admin for an additional time after they get back, it only results in warning even if in the chat it shows the opp was gone for a significant  time (we're talking 5-10 minutes!).  Bottom line: the afk admin button feature is better than nothing, but can cause more waiting than just waiting for the opp to get back.  (we'll just pretend there is always an abundance of admins online :s)  and would love if the higher ups would put a spot somewhere on their to do list a potential way to fix this :D!  

We will not implement a timer for Duels.

We won't make a special button that would get an Admin for AFK. Otherwise, it'd be abused so people could get their Ruling Calls answered faster. We're not gonna create an extra set of punishments for misusing this when we can just stick to the current system where no such mistake can happen.

We don't punish users for selecting the wrong type of Call and we're not about to start anytime soon.

You can't beat me! I AM DABESTGAMER!!!

My "My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic" Set

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to the Dueling Network Forums!

To sign in, use your duelingnetwork.com account. If you do not have one, register here.