ShiningEmperorHope

Elite Member

• Veteran Members
  • 3,171 posts
    • Time Online: 125d 8h 3m 38s

300px-BujinYamato-JOTL-JP-SR.png

Level 4, LIGHT, Beast-Warrior/Effect

1800/200

Once per turn, during your End Phase: You can add 1 "Bujin" monster from your Deck to your hand, then send 1 card from your hand to the Graveyard. You can only control 1 face-up "Bujin - Yamato".

Such a simple yet incredibly flexible one-for-one ability. Such is what you'd expect from the cornerstone of the Bujin archetype. I have to say, having used the War Gods (Bujins) for some time now, this guy can be quite broken and is indeed questionable design as a card that essentially can do anything on his own. Main reason is that he can search his own mini Honest (Habakiri) while setting up the grave for massive defense and offense with Hetsuka and Murakumo. Add on that he is a Tenki target and gets all the benefits of being a Beast-Warrior. Kinda goes with being a one-man army as the deck is entirely dependent on his presence and suffers once he leaves the field (though this will be somewhat remedied by Mikazuchi. Bad design or not, he will be the first of the War Gods to make his power known in the TCG with the upcoming Judgment of Light. Discuss!!!

Edited by ShiningEmperorHope, 09 July 2013 - 12:57 AM.

http://i.imgur.com/EICTRec.png

Thanks DtHadouken for this awesome sig!

kpnut

kpnut

the Cry of the Wind

• Veteran Members
  • 2,878 posts
    • Time Online: 302d 5h 15m 12s

Insanely powerful card. This guy pretty much IS Bujins, although he doesn't look as awesome as Susano'o but hey you can't have everything

Dart Feld

Dart Feld

War God Overlord

• Veteran Members
  • 1,155 posts
    • Time Online: 102d 20h 49m 39s
  • Team:[BoB] Band of Brothers

Heart, core and soul of the Bujin Archetype, his sole presence on the field is enough to intimidate opponents considering how hard is to get rid of him with a bit of setup and how versatile he actually is.

I know that his design can be questionable, but to introduce such an unique gameplay; it was needed.

What I love about Bujins is how they broke the conventional "lolswarm!!1!1" kind of gameplay to introduce us the unique "One-man army", you summon him and the rest of the Deck is designed entirely to support him with various kind of effects for attack, protection and destruction.

Searchable, nice attack, LIGHT and fetch resources every turn to battle, that's Yamato for you.

Messier_7.pngWar_God_Emperor_Susanoo.png

Constellar Ptolemy M7           Bujintei - Susano'o

ShiningEmperorHope

ShiningEmperorHope

Elite Member

• Veteran Members
  • 3,171 posts

Heart, core and soul of the Bujin Archetype, his sole presence on the field is enough to intimidate opponents considering how hard is to get rid of him with a bit of setup and how versatile he actually is.

I know that his design can be questionable, but to introduce such an unique gameplay; it was needed.

What I love about Bujins is how they broke the conventional "lolswarm!!1!1" kind of gameplay to introduce us the unique "One-man army", you summon him and the rest of the Deck is designed entirely to support him with various kind of effects for attack, protection and destruction.

Searchable, nice attack, LIGHT and fetch resources every turn to battle, that's Yamato for you.

Completely agree with that. Seeing so many monster die or get killed off usually on the same turn their summoned by the sheer speed of this game is pretty lame. To make up for this, most decks usefulness are determined by their ability to spam more monster to make up for any loss. Now we got an archetype that lack speed but makes up for it with a boss that nearly always has an answer to something with the right set up. In summary, it's nice to have a deck that doesn't consist of expendable fodder like say E Dragons.

telvin1234

telvin1234

Honorable Member

• Veteran Members
  • 1,211 posts
    • Time Online: 154d 13h 9m 49s
This is by far my most favorite monster ever. As others have said, his very presence strikes the opponents with fear. Just one single copy alone can set up the entire hand and grave, and it doesn't even fall to Veiler.

All we need is a Bujin that negates destruction effects, and we would be golden, aside from the stupid Spellbook of Fate of course.

But yea, this card is perfection. Has my vote for best Lv4 monster, even if Rai-Oh negates its searching ability.

Suibon

Suibon

Dead and Gone

• Veteran Members
  • 1,827 posts
    • Time Online: 89d 20h 18m 26s

The concept is simple, since simple seems to rule the day over design these days -- and the implications -- dear Lord God Almighty the implications --

To anyone who remembers the Gadgets of old, with all their deck thinning and subsequent carefree plussing and the constant emphasis on removal both reactive and proactive made more accessible by said deck thinning -- this easily combines nearly all that is horrific of that old (except the slow-rolling but assured plusses and the constant stream of bodies ready to pile on the pain) -- eliminates the countervailing balancing factor (weak stats -- Yamato has 1800 ATK, scarcely a laughable stat) -- and adds a new and horrifying feature (making every conceivable counter to Yamato as near and dear and as hard to stop as is possible).

But that is not ultimately the point -- heck, that we have reached the point where godforsaken design like this is lauded by people who should know better isn't even a point worth waxing at -- the point is that the design that forced Yamato and the Relics into existence

WILL STAY.

Whether it be good for this game or not, either way we're fucked.

I -- 0

Everything is exploding.

0 -- I

The ErosionSeeker

The ErosionSeeker

You who are afraid of darkness, escape into the light!

• Veteran Members
  • 2,143 posts
    • Time Online: 193d 15h 32m 56s
  • Team:[FAB] Dreams of Faded Reality

I hate yamato with a burning passion.

He does what several extremely specific synchros do with even less requirements than ever.

300px-LavalvalDragun-HA06-EN-ScR-1E.png300px-DragunityKnight-GaeDeargSTBL-EN-Sc

• he's level 4
  • he has 1800 (usually 1900+) ATK
  • can search any bujin while dumping ANY card from your hand

the worst part about it, is that the instant they start off with a bujin weapon in hand, yamato just gave himself protection from two different things, or the power to randomly destroy stuff out of nowhere.

yamato needs to be nerfed (be it directly or tenki because come on, tenki is starting to make rekindling look bad), and knowing konami, they'll go right after the consistency (yamato/tenki) instead of bujins honest, bujin forbidden dress, bujin magic cylinder, and many more, since their only other way to dump them is through conventional methods (hand destruction), or susanoo.

F1shies

F1shies

Veteran Member

• 308 posts
    • Time Online: 34d 21h 36m 8s

The very core of Bujins, and that's not a title the new mediocre Shadow Specters support is going to remove. I like the change in pace Bujins provide to the game. I'll go as far as agreeing with Telvin that this is probably my favourite monster.

yamato needs to be nerfed (be it directly or tenki because come on, tenki is starting to make rekindling look bad), and knowing konami, they'll go right after the consistency (yamato/tenki) instead of bujins honest, bujin forbidden dress, bujin magic cylinder, and many more, since their only other way to dump them is through conventional methods (hand destruction), or susanoo.

Yamato needs to be nerfed? Bujins have topped a single shop tournament IIRC, risk falling apart like cardboard in game 1 vs Prophecy and are overall just a decent tier 2/anti-meta deck that does a fine job at slowing down the game a bit. The presence of an archetype Honest (more a Kalut, actually), Dress (except it only stops 1 effect), popper and Cylinder (the unmentioned ones, and argueably the Cylinder one, suck, by the way) are just the playstyle of Bujins, and without a Yamato/the like on field they're all nigh on useless. 

Konami doesn't randomly hit stuff that isn't doing anything. As for Tenki being so terrible a card, I agree that it is indeed powerful, but neither Brofists or Bujins are exactly tearing up the metagame.

TL:DR; I'd like to hear an elaboration on why you think Bujins deserve a banhammer because as it is now, they're a somewhat undersupported archetype with a refreshingly swarmfree playstyle that's dreadfully reliant on drawing one of 6-8 cards very quickly and activating/summoning that undisrupted.

Edited by F1shies, 09 July 2013 - 09:24 AM.

Found in a Destiny Board deck thread:

The D is your win condition

The ErosionSeeker

The ErosionSeeker

• Veteran Members
  • 2,143 posts

Yamato needs to be nerfed? Bujins have topped a single shop tournament IIRC, risk falling apart like cardboard in game 1 vs Prophecy and are overall just a decent tier 2/anti-meta deck that does a fine job at slowing down the game a bit. The presence of an archetype Honest (more a Kalut, actually), Dress (except it only stops 1 effect), popper and Cylinder (the unmentioned ones, and argueably the Cylinder one, suck, by the way) are just the playstyle of Bujins, and without a Yamato/the like on field they're all nigh on useless. 

Konami doesn't randomly hit stuff that isn't doing anything. As for Tenki being so terrible a card, I agree that it is indeed powerful, but neither Brofists or Bujins are exactly tearing up the metagame.

Konami wants to remove cards that are given "instant staple" status. Right now, any beast-warrior deck NEEDS 3 tenki if they want anything near consistency. Unfortunately, this also means that bear (and occasionally some of the other fire fist stuff) are also dumped at 2 or more, instantly converting any deck into the same deck with more consistency and damage potential.

TL:DR; I'd like to hear an elaboration on why you think Bujins deserve a banhammer because as it is now, they're a somewhat undersupported archetype with a refreshingly swarmfree playstyle that's dreadfully reliant on drawing one of 6-8 cards very quickly and activating/summoning that undisrupted.

yugioh isn't meant for a player to sit on one monster for the entire game. when it turned into that with macro rabbit, konami decided to change things by making the meta so high-speed, it would be impossible for a deck that relies on 1 card with a bunch of backrow (bujin weapons in this case) to easily survive.

yamato is bad design because he constantly thins the deck, letting you get your pieces into place, and does so for next to no cost.
yamato sends 1 card from your hand at resolution, meaning macro cannot stop it from doing the search. 

yamato can pitch ANY card from your hand for its effect, meaning every single card in your hand is the equivalent to a bujin ROTA.
now, this wouldn't be so bad (flying saucer musakii and dragon ravine come to mind), but those two have their own slew of weaknesses.

ravine can be easily destroyed because it does not search its own protection. unless you open with an out to yamato, you're effed. they drop the shield turtle, your negators are useless. they add bujin honest, your attacks are useless. 

so what if they've only topped 1 tournament (they've gotten fairly close in far more than just 1)? 
yamato is single-handedly the most ungodly version of ophion, honest, audreus, and gadgets that this game as ever seen.

just like the outcry for SBoFate getting hit, yamato just does too much for one card.

Ratskin

Ratskin

DNF's ex-resident a-hole

• Veteran Members
  • 2,762 posts
    • Time Online: 143d 11h 47m 3s

Yamato is single handedly the worst piece of design in the past two sets (I.E. The two after LTGY) . It's also the degenerate design in those sets.

Despite that, and despite the fact it needs a hit, I still love him.

But as for why he's broken: I've got nothing against the style of deck that War Gods are, I like control decks being a thing, even when Aggro is so rampant. But it should not do it like this, in that the deck searches it's own protection for no cost, whilst simutaneously giving free deck thinning.

Now, hitting him directly means that War Gods as  deck don't exist. Which means by all rights they shouldn't. (Even though I love them) He just does to much for a single card, and once the current LTGY meta dies.. It will be the best deck. Without question, (Save maybe OTK Madol's)

2r68WSt.png

The Joker will Lock all....

Thanks to someone from CGC.

mido9

mido9

• Veteran Members
  • 3,715 posts
    • Time Online: 207d 21h 54m 49s

Why do people think this isnt perfectly well designed?

I mean really. I'd argue that the bujin from-grave-destruction and bujin summon-two-monsters spell are the actual culprits.

Edited by mido9, 09 July 2013 - 10:16 AM.

Who the fuck are you people even trying to convince by making completely weightless blanket statements? Like people are actually putting some sort of effort to make good posts giving legitimate reasoning as to why RPS is not, has not, and never will be a balanced way to "randomly" pick who goes first, while you fucking toolbags just post the most irrelevant and pointless shit thinking that you're adding some sort of weight to the discussion.

All you're really contributing to at this point is the massive list of problems that DNF has in terms of post quality. Stop.

/rant

Danny_Knight

Danny_Knight

The Scribe

• Veteran Members
  • 1,403 posts
    • Time Online: 53d 17h 54m 5s
  • Team:Free Agent
There have been cards b4 him with similiar effects, but none this easy to pull off. As said b4: Yamato is Bujin. As to if he should be hit; no. Or at least not now. Will he make Bujins the deck to beat next format? Only time will tell, but they've got a lot of competition...

Edited by Danny_Knight, 09 July 2013 - 10:21 AM.

2usg9cj.jpg

e376066a487111e3836b22000aeb0d60_5.jpg

P5zguhu.jpg?1

^Creds to Bryan Lutra

Ratskin

Ratskin

DNF's ex-resident a-hole

• Veteran Members
  • 2,762 posts
    • Time Online: 143d 11h 47m 3s

Why do people think this isnt perfectly well designed?

I mean really. I'd argue that the bujin from-grave-destruction and bujin summon-two-monsters spell are the actual culprits.

Hate to disagree with you there, but:

Advent is only used as a back-up. You will go more games without using it, than with using it.

And Murakumo is the worst of the the currently mained Relics. Simply because it helps the least as it stands.

If you were really going to blame a Relic, you should blame Hikabari for making it a bitch to hit over.

And I have to ask why you feel than the continous free deck thinning via protection searching is well designed?

2r68WSt.png

The Joker will Lock all....

Thanks to someone from CGC.

F1shies

F1shies

Veteran Member

• 308 posts
    • Time Online: 34d 21h 36m 8s

Konami wants to remove cards that are given "instant staple" status. Right now, any beast-warrior deck NEEDS 3 tenki if they want anything near consistency. Unfortunately, this also means that bear (and occasionally some of the other fire fist stuff) are also dumped at 2 or more, instantly converting any deck into the same deck with more consistency and damage potential. - I agree that the Bear engine is somewhat derpy, but I wouldn't exactly call a searcher for a generally weak type an "instant staple". Before Tenki, BWs didn't have any consistency cards whatsoever, and again, it's not like the decks using it are grabbing all the spotlight. This will most likely change when SBs and Rulers are hit, and in another format (like the time we saw before Tachyon), Tenki could well be a problem card. However, my point is that no decks reliant on Tenki are doing anything hitworthy at the moment.

yugioh isn't meant for a player to sit on one monster for the entire game. when it turned into that with macro rabbit, konami decided to change things by making the meta so high-speed, it would be impossible for a deck that relies on 1 card with a bunch of backrow (bujin weapons in this case) to easily survive. - Rabbit was a strong tier 1 deck that contested effectively with Windups and Inzektors, could even stand up decently to Chaos Dragons and crushed rogue decks. Bujins aren't a force of that level in comparison to the other decks of this format, so they're not really comparable. They may be next format, though.

yamato is bad design because he constantly thins the deck, letting you get your pieces into place, and does so for next to no cost.
yamato sends 1 card from your hand at resolution, meaning macro cannot stop it from doing the search. - He does all this, but it's the only actual play Bujins have. Meaning that if they don't get Yamato/Tenki early on, or those are countered, a Bujin player is in for a very bad time. Also, anything that can bring out 2 or more effects/bosses a turn (not too rare as it is) will usually be able to get rid of him. 
As for Macro, it may not stop the searching itself, but it prevents the use of Mura and Hetsu. Basically, a Bujin deck under Macro won't be able to keep Yamato protected from effects, and he'll wither away quite quickly.

yamato can pitch ANY card from your hand for its effect, meaning every single card in your hand is the equivalent to a bujin ROTA.
now, this wouldn't be so bad (flying saucer musakii and dragon ravine come to mind), but those two have their own slew of weaknesses. -A Bujin RoTA, yes, but what RoTA? One that either searches for another Yamato (that you can't summon, which means you're not really getting anywhere) or something reliant on the opponent not getting rid of Yamato. Hetsuka/Habakiri aren't an insurance on their own, as decks dishing out multiple dangerous effects/beaters in one turn isn't an uncommon sight.

ravine can be easily destroyed because it does not search its own protection. unless you open with an out to yamato, you're effed. they drop the shield turtle, your negators are useless. they add bujin honest, your attacks are useless. - Ravine is faster than Yamato and more versatile. Furthermore, the thing is that Dragunities have other things to do than Ravine. While it does make their plays much stronger, they can even OTK without it under the right conditions. Take away Yamato and the remaining Bujins are nothing, which is why he simply has to be hard to get rid of for the deck to function at all.

so what if they've only topped 1 tournament (they've gotten fairly close in far more than just 1)? Notice that I said shop tournament, as in a very small one. If they've had any tops later, I'd love to see them.
yamato is single-handedly the most ungodly version of ophion, honest, audreus, and gadgets that this game as ever seen.

just like the outcry for SBoFate getting hit, yamato just does too much for one card. - But SBs have Priestess, Kycoo, Power, Maiden and other stuff that does dangerous things as well. Bujins only have Yamato. I wouldn't mind if some of his qualities were spread out on multiple cards, but he's not that terrible as he is.

All in all, I agree that he would be questionable card design in an archtype that had more other strong plays as well, but as it is, he is no real threat. He will become a problem if Bujins get any good new support and/or the other tier 1-2 decks are heavily nerfed. In the extreme, he can be compared to Crystal Abundance: a card that would be broken under other circumstances, but is kept on an alright level because of the context it has to be used in.

Found in a Destiny Board deck thread:

The D is your win condition

ShiningEmperorHope

ShiningEmperorHope

Elite Member

• Veteran Members
  • 3,171 posts

Just had a real terrible thought. Imagine if his design was given the Undine treatment: "During the End Phase of your turn, you can send 1 "Bujin" monster from your deck to the grave; Add one "Bujin" monster from your deck to hand.

Danny_Knight

Danny_Knight

The Scribe

• Veteran Members
  • 1,403 posts

Just had a real terrible thought. Imagine if his design was given the Undine treatment: "During the End Phase of your turn, you can send 1 "Bujin" monster from your deck to the grave; Add one "Bujin" monster from your deck to hand.

Über-broken. Veiler wouldn't even stop him.
2usg9cj.jpg

P5zguhu.jpg?1

^Creds to Bryan Lutra

Dart Feld

Dart Feld

War God Overlord

• Veteran Members
  • 1,155 posts
    • Time Online: 102d 20h 49m 39s
  • Team:[BoB] Band of Brothers

I would call that a TRULY broken Yamato.

Edited by Dart Feld, 09 July 2013 - 11:03 AM.

Messier_7.pngWar_God_Emperor_Susanoo.png

Constellar Ptolemy M7           Bujintei - Susano'o

ShiningEmperorHope

ShiningEmperorHope

Elite Member

• Veteran Members
  • 3,171 posts

I would call that a TRULY broken Yamato.

Just wanted to beat Mr. Gentleman to it ;) You know he'll actually try to justify such ***** since according to him, Yamato as he is now is too restrained  to even hope to match his Lords and Saviors, E Dragons.

Edited by ShiningEmperorHope, 09 July 2013 - 12:01 PM.

Infyrnowolf

Infyrnowolf

You mess with Fyr, you get burned

• In-Game Administrator
  • 187 posts
    • Time Online: 50d 34m 29s
  • Team:[LOST] Last One Standing

Über-broken. Veiler wouldn't even stop him.

It's worth noting that Veiler cannot stop Yamato even with Yamato's current wording. Since Yamato is optional, if you're smart, you can choose to activate Yamato after your opponent is forced by End Phase mechanics to end Veiler's effect.

bilaterus has a great article about End Phase mechanics, if you want to read more about them: http://forum.dueling...hase-explained/

Danny_Knight

Danny_Knight

The Scribe

• Veteran Members
  • 1,403 posts

It's worth noting that Veiler cannot stop Yamato even with Yamato's current wording. Since Yamato is optional, if you're smart, you can choose to activate Yamato after your opponent is forced by End Phase mechanics to end Veiler's effect.

bilaterus has a great article about End Phase mechanics, if you want to read more about them: http://forum.dueling...hase-explained/

Well, that's somethin. Adds to his list of positives, I suppose.

And thnx for the link. I'll take a read through.
2usg9cj.jpg

P5zguhu.jpg?1

^Creds to Bryan Lutra

notcleverusername

notcleverusername

Greyscale Bonfire

• Veteran Members
  • 2,817 posts
    • Time Online: 47d 23h 7m 55s
  • Team:Suibon Fan Club

Just wanted to beat Mr. Gentleman to it ;) You know he'll actually try to justify such ***** since according to him, Yamato as he is now is too restrained  to even hope to match his Lords and Saviors, E Dragons.

With my Mr Gentleman cap on, I would like to mention that it sucks because it's not a Quick effect.

Seriously speaking, anyways

Yamato's actual effect is def questionable design, but the fact it occurs only during the End Phase is pretty significant, and also one of the major differentiations from his Synchro counterparts. Am I the only one that sees that as a powerful balancing factor? After all, it is part of his effect too. I see the guy as pretty good design just for that--the effect is very powerful, but it's structured in such a way that you are forced to move slowly to use it.

Not to mention the "only 1 Yamato allowed" thing.

Disclaimer: My strategies aren't good, they're just amusing.

The ErosionSeeker

The ErosionSeeker

• Veteran Members
  • 2,143 posts

With my Mr Gentleman cap on, I would like to mention that it sucks because it's not a Quick effect.

Seriously speaking, anyways

Yamato's actual effect is def questionable design, but the fact it occurs only during the End Phase is pretty significant, and also one of the major differentiations from his Synchro counterparts. Am I the only one that sees that as a powerful balancing factor? After all, it is part of his effect too. I see the guy as pretty good design just for that--the effect is very powerful, but it's structured in such a way that you are forced to move slowly to use it.

Not to mention the "only 1 Yamato allowed" thing.

limit 1 yamato per customer is because even konami saw the trouble in searching 3 times, milling 3 cards, and gaining 3 bujin weapons all at once.

speaking of yamato, where the hell is his head facing?

notcleverusername

notcleverusername

Greyscale Bonfire

• Veteran Members
  • 2,817 posts
    • Time Online: 47d 23h 7m 55s
  • Team:Suibon Fan Club

speaking of yamato, where the hell is his head facing?

Yeah, the guy's art is super wonky ._.

His pillar-like lower torso makes him seem really stiff and drawn with a ruler, the head shape is just bizarre, whatever that ring is around his waste doesn't really help with the coherency either.

His art is pretty cool, yeah, but it's really confusing too. >_>

Disclaimer: My strategies aren't good, they're just amusing.

ShiningEmperorHope

ShiningEmperorHope

Elite Member

• Veteran Members
  • 3,171 posts
Thought I'd bring this back since Judgment of the Light has come in and Yamato is now a part of the TCG. Also, the silver mask-like part is his face. His Bujingi all share the same face too.

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! KD

! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! KD

DNF's Best and Most Missed Spammer

• Veteran Members
  • 1,095 posts
    • Time Online: 29d 6h 16m 4s
  • Facebook:ask me
  • Team:Spamm
Yamato is too OP

I only Spamm

tqK6V.png
N4WvyKv.jpg
http://imgur.com/EjKQIMl - Dat field

KD is hands down the most idiotic member on this forum this year.

- True Story

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: LIGHT, Beast-Warrior, one man army

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to the Dueling Network Forums!

To sign in, use your duelingnetwork.com account. If you do not have one, register here.