• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

W\/\/W\/\/W\/\/W\/\/

W\/\/W\/\/W\/\/W\/\/

Veteran Member

• 301 posts
    • Time Online: 12d 17h 8m 25s

YCS Toronto Boycott
I never thought I would write an article about something like this but alas here I am just a mere month before YCS Toronto with an endless stream of thoughts and emotions. For those of you who are not aware, and there very well may be readers out there who are not, there will be a YCS held in Toronto at the end of this month. It was officially listed on the premier event page of the Yu-Gi-Oh website a few days ago, along with the YCS in San Mateo. It has caused quite a significant uproar in the Yu-Gi-Oh community for an array of different issues, and today I feel as though it is time for us as a community to put our foot down and make a statement.

Before I get too far into the topic at hand, I need to make something absolutely clear. This article has no relation to the recent development between Konami and Alter Reality Games. While I may in fact be a weekly writer for ARG, the sentiments I am about to express are not necessarily that of ARG. The fact that ARG is no longer an affiliated Konami store, and the controversy surrounding the ARG Opens, was not the motivation for writing this article. I had intended on writing this article if YCS Toronto was announced weeks before the boiling point in the Konami negotiations. It just happens to be a coincidence.

I honestly try to sit down each and every week and produce articles which are beneficial to the Yu-Gi-Oh community in a wide variety of manners. Sometimes we talk about individual cards, analyze successful decks, or even on a lucky day end up discussing some of the advanced concepts that are prevalent in the game of Yu-Gi-Oh. This article does not follow that line of thinking. Though that not is to say that what I am about to write is not beneficial to our community. This may be the most important articles I have ever written for the community, or it could simply fizzle out. But I really do hope what I am about to say can pick up steam amongst our community because if there was ever a time to make a statement about the health of the Yu-Gi-Oh card game, today is that day.

So with that being said, I am writing the community today to call a boycott of YCS Toronto 2013. Konami has continued to manipulate the Yu-Gi-Oh community, and failed to address the wholesome complaints of its customers for too many years. It is beyond ludicrous to think that a professionally run trading card game can sit down and believe they have the ability to announce competitive events in the way in which Konami has just. With less than four weeks before round one of YCS Toronto Konami honestly believes that their player based will be able to find an affordable and appropriate means of travel to the event. Unfortunately we do not live in the fantasy world where last minute travel arrangements produce the prices that Konami must think. By scheduling an event with this short of notice, the bulk of players are unable to find the same priced hotels and transportation in which they would have been able to obtain had Konami appropriately announced their event months in advance. Beyond that, seeing as how they decided to announce an event out of the United States at such a last minute, players who would have originally enjoyed the opportunity to travel outside of the United States to play must already have a passport - or otherwise be forced to pay an increased sum of money for an express produced passport. It is beyond unprofessional for a company with the revenue and experience in organized play to believe they even have the right to abuse their players in this manner. Companies who openly appreciate their players, such as Wizards of the Coast, give their players more than adequate time to plan their trips in accordance with what is affordable and fit appropriately in their lives. It is almost as though Konami lives in their own world and ignores the fact that their player base actually have jobs and cannot simply drop what is going on in their lives in order to book a last minute flight and take time off of work. At most establishments of employment, a weekend off to Toronto would have already needed to be requested. So not only are we as players expected to pay more on travel expenses, we are supposed to obtain an express passport, ask for time off of work at what very well may be too short of time, and not know what format we are about to play in.

That is right. Konami has officially announced an event where there will be a fundamental change in the Forbidden and Limited List when the players amass for Day 2. With this glaring issue, a professional company such as Wizards of the Coast would give their players an idea what they are about to invest their hard earned money in going to. Seeing as how we are dealing with an unprofessional company like Konami, they have failed to officially declare what type of tournament their player base would even go to. So now not only are all of the limitations discussed previously an issue in attending the event, you could very well show up to an event where you would have had no intentionally of originally playing. Who knows, maybe Day 1 is Battle Pack 2 sealed. Maybe it is the March 1, 2013 Forbidden and Limited List. Another tournament for Dragon Ruler and Prophecy. I know I personally have no intention of ever playing that format again, and I bet I am not the only one who believes that. So why in the world would you want to invest your money in going to play another competitive tournament under that list? What if it is the September 1st, 2013 list? That would be exciting. How difficult if it to list what format the event is being held under? Such as simplistic decision which any properly run company would have been made months ago. But nope, not Konami. That is far too logical for a company like Konami. They leave you in the dark, no communication with their player base, no care for what are our concerns.

I heard rumors about this event months ago. Months ago. It was even listed on the Toronto Convention Centre website. That is right. This event has been in the works for a handful of months. Let that sink in. Konami had the intentions of having this event back when hotels were cheaper, flights were a fraction of the price and when you could have appropriately requested work off. That is the way in which Konami has decided to treat our players. Are we seriously going to stand here and allow that to be the norm? Are you freaking kidding me? What does it take to list a YCS event the moment it has officially been negotiated with the venue? As a professional company with a player base that relies on organized play (and I use the word organized loosely), there must be consistent communication. In this case there was no communication whatsoever. An absolute atrocity across the board.

So what are we going to do about it? We could all individually believe that we should not attend. I know I feel that way. I am sick of this treatment, and as a player who has missed only two American YCS events since 2010, I am not attending. I could ask for work off, I could afford the trip - but I am staying home. I simply cannot concede to the this treatment. And we as a community should stand up and say no. That is the only way in which Konami will ever listen to our requests. Hit their wallet. Hit it hard. It costs Konami a lot of money to hold these events. Let them look over their field of players in shock. They deserve it. They deserve to tank tens of thousands of dollars. I know this article, Facebook group or YouTube video will not be able to hold the attendance to zero. But we can damn sure try. We can try to #OccupyYGO, and if we fail - we can make noise. We can make a lot of noise. How many people have historically attended YCS Toronto? What if we can put up an attendance under 100? How about a venue filled with players but no one entering the event? or side events? A Yu-Gi-Oh blackout. Tell Konami how you feel about their event, and how they have decided to treat their player base.
Now I know, for a lot of people this is not something you want to consider. There are a lot of players who travel to each and every event. I am one of them. I am one of the people on the circuit. I schedule my year around each and every event. But the benefit of keeping yourself, and your friends at home is far beyond what showing up is worth. If we want there to be change in our game, we must be willing to make the sacrifice of this statement. Life goes on, there are more events. We can sit one out. Trust me, this is yet another event to give you the chance of finally winning a YCS or getting that first top. I know both of those feelings, one of which I live in to this day. But sometimes there are other things in life beyond that. What do we want as players? Better coverage. Live streams. Real rankings. Cash prizes. Better feature matches. Deck techs. New tournaments. Yu-Gi-Oh World Cup. Yu-Gi-Oh Players Championship. Real commentary. We want change. Let's make the sacrifice, and state what we want profoundly. It is just one event. Life continues after.

Spread the message, share this article, invite people to the Facebook group and link people to the corresponding YouTube video on my account (YGOTrader101). It is our time to #OccupyYGO. Be sure to follow me on Twitter too: @ARG_JoeG

Yep.

I have mixed opinions on this, and I never expected this to have come from the person it came from (which imo means this is a big fucking deal). It's apparently kinda a thing now and I thought I'd bring it to DNF's attention.

bYDuej1.png

wQ3BrQY.gif

Geminia999

Geminia999

Ocean Dragon Lord

• Veteran Members
  • 6,194 posts
    • Time Online: 285d 4h 8m 7s
  • Team:Who needs one

While I understand the sentiment, this is my home town and I could feasibly have a deck set up to compete there. I probably won't make even past the swiss rounds but it's all part of the fun isn't it? With that in mind, I guess I feel sorry for all these people, but I just take it as a chance to somehow possibly get a digvorzakh.

DbOfRaW.jpg

liy010

liy010

Honorable Member

• Veteran Members
  • 1,171 posts
    • Time Online: 24d 18h 45m 51s

/SkimsThroughLargeWallOfText

So, from what I'm getting US Players are upset that a YCS is being held outside of the US?

W\/\/W\/\/W\/\/W\/\/

W\/\/W\/\/W\/\/W\/\/

Veteran Member

• 301 posts
    • Time Online: 12d 17h 8m 25s

While I understand the sentiment, this is my home town and I could feasibly have a deck set up to compete there. I probably won't make even past the swiss rounds but it's all part of the fun isn't it? With that in mind, I guess I feel sorry for all these people, but I just take it as a chance to somehow possibly get a digvorzakh Number 106:GIant Hand.

:D

Yes. That is something I was aware of since I saw this. What about the average Joe (har har) who is just your practical ygo player who lives in Toronto? Are they going to give up a very rare YCS experience to support a cause that they are not involved with, and are not empathetic to?

On the topic of a bigger scope of things, my theory is that no matter how much the "pros" (in a vague and loose way, basically anyone who can play this game decently) complain and boycott the game, there will always be SOMEONE playing it. The competitive player base is but a drop of water in the entire player base.

/SkimsThroughLargeWallOfText

So, from what I'm getting US Players are upset that a YCS is being held outside of the US?

and:

• it was announced like a few weeks prior, depriving the ability to plan early and purchase cheaper flights
  • they haven't annoucned whether this will be in the new september format or in this format 
  • the fact that it's in a different country only aggravates travel-related conflicts and tensions

bYDuej1.png

wQ3BrQY.gif

Geminia999

Geminia999

Ocean Dragon Lord

• Veteran Members
  • 6,194 posts

:D

I was thinking that it would still be digvorzakh, but I guess this would be the first in the series. Okay, now I don't care about the prize card

DbOfRaW.jpg

Auke1993

Auke1993

3000 Brigade

• In-Game Administrator
  • 7,391 posts
    • Time Online: 356d 1h 43m 19s
  • Facebook:Auke1993
  • Twitter:Auke1993
  • Youtube:Auke1993
  • Team:3000 Brigade

He's contradicting half of his statements in his own article.

And regarding the commentary, since when are commentators supplied by the company?

Normally it's fan-based commentary.

And the cash prizes? The creator of Yu-Gi-Oh clearly said that wouldn't happen. It's just not. So you can stop asking.

And a month in advance is still enough to book a flight and all that. Sure, if you're used to knowing the dates 4/5 months in advance, you have less time to work things out. But look at the Pokémon tournaments. The VGC and TCG events are usually announced about a month in advance. And there's loads of people who attend each time. So the issue isn't all that big.

I assume this article was written before Konami announced what banlists were to be used. Day 1 it's the Match 2013 banlist, and once September comes around it's the September 2013 banlist. That's what I've read anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Auke1993

EurekaTeamRockets_zpsb7a78274.png                  SaveAudino.png

Light/Darkness

Light/Darkness

**** be twirl'in

• Veteran Members
  • 1,084 posts
    • Time Online: 57d 21h 25m 39s
  • Team:[CoF] Church of Farls

why didn't we do this before? wasn't there I situation a few formats ago were this could have actually been done but didn't, if memory serves me correctly?

lightdarkness_userbar_by_zoisitesarugaki

18XOS.gif

[3/22/2014 2:19:49 PM] Nathan Crest: Will the real Suzumiya Haruhi stand up? I repeat, will the real Haruhi stand up?

MK_ultra

MK_ultra

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ spearchucker ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

• Veteran Members
  • 3,859 posts
    • Time Online: 127d 18h 6m 55s

so pretty much, unless you live in Canada u can't go. ok. regarding the format, every ban list i play under gets released, has a week to let simmer, then it's legal to play under so i would assume that it would be under this current march format. i guess konami will then see that this event flops, and move the YCS to a different city, like what happened with the shonen jump that happened in my town. even though the event was held on mother's day. (if only it could come back to denver.)

TTCvoJt.png

[9:53:25 PM] ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! %6: [11:53:05 PM] genexwrecker: i dont mini mod =_=

YCheck137

YCheck137

King of Knights

• 3,026 posts
    • Time Online: 64d 13h 34m 41s
  • Team:[FOG]

He's contradicting half of his statements in his own article.

And regarding the commentary, since when are commentators supplied by the company?
Normally it's fan-based commentary.
And the cash prizes? The creator of Yu-Gi-Oh clearly said that wouldn't happen. It's just not. So you can stop asking.

And a month in advance is still enough to book a flight and all that. Sure, if you're used to knowing the dates 4/5 months in advance, you have less time to work things out. But look at the Pokémon tournaments. The VGC and TCG events are usually announced about a month in advance. And there's loads of people who attend each time. So the issue isn't all that big.

I assume this article was written before Konami announced what banlists were to be used. Day 1 it's the Match 2013 banlist, and once September comes around it's the September 2013 banlist. That's what I've read anyway.

Soo... Day 1 is March, Day 2 is Sept?  I don't understand...

ZrHBfGv.png
3aP7aR1.png

EH5egoi.gif

DarkFortune

DarkFortune

• 144 posts
    • Time Online: 14d 20m 25s

this article is dumb. I'm going to be blunt. The company is putting forth events that are optional, not mandated, and as many as they can. They are being called out for that? because we are getting MORE events? and whats with this whole thing: "there is no notice" "there were rumors of this for months" apparently it was at least known enough for people to prepare "in case"

playing card games is a privilege not a right. Its not to cater to a certain group. If canadians want to play yugioh...let them. Seriously, last I checked, Toronto is a major city. Its not really a big deal for canadians to want to play in their own country. Why should we discriminate against Toronto getting a YCS because americans want to go? and a portion of the article is to say that people are sick of the e dragon/prophecy format. Well maybe tons of Canadian duelist didn't get to participate in that, so we should cancel it cus we can't fly out the top 32 major competitive duelists to go use what deck everyone else that would enter the tournament with anyway?

Geminia999

Geminia999

Ocean Dragon Lord

• Veteran Members
  • 6,194 posts

this article is dumb. I'm going to be blunt. The company is putting forth events that are optional, not mandated, and as many as they can. They are being called out for that? because we are getting MORE events? and whats with this whole thing: "there is no notice" "there were rumors of this for months" apparently it was at least known enough for people to prepare "in case"

playing card games is a privilege not a right. Its not to cater to a certain group. If canadians want to play yugioh...let them. Seriously, last I checked, Toronto is a major city. Its not really a big deal for canadians to want to play in their own country. Why should we discriminate against Toronto getting a YCS because americans want to go? and a portion of the article is to say that people are sick of the e dragon/prophecy format. Well maybe tons of Canadian duelist didn't get to participate in that, so we should cancel it cus we can't fly out the top 32 major competitive duelists to go use what deck everyone else that would enter the tournament with anyway?

Just saying, rumors don't mean jack (though considering it was booked it was more than likely). But this also effects people in Canada too. Canada's huge and if was in any place besides southern ontario and Quebec it would still be somewhat difficult to arrange a trip. And we have locals and can go to american tournaments as well. I'm just saying.

DbOfRaW.jpg

doomkaiser619

doomkaiser619

• 61 posts
    • Time Online: 23h 35m 15s

You know, as long as products are selling for Konami, that is all they really care about.  They don't really make money from events, so if you boycott and not go to the events, it would only hurt the playerbase in the end since Konami can just say that not many people show up to events so they are cancelling it. 

Just like how some many places in Canada have very few regionals because of the lack of people going to events. 

~Rawwr

~Rawwr

• 130 posts
    • Time Online: 12d 5h 54m 22s
  • Team:none

Now

idk if any of you thought about this period. But I need like a quick summary. I'm not reading big long life-story about how a guy is mad at a yugioh company.

dark_anime_signature_by_sephirothsigs-d3

Dark Ace SP

Dark Ace SP

Veteran Member

• 321 posts
    • Time Online: 7d 9h 40m 43s

I'm not reading big long life-story about how a guy is mad at a yugioh company.

Best. Comment. Ever. 

Also, during the live stream of Worlds, an announcer said that the entire Toronto event would be held in September format, and that the list would be published on August 20. 

Signature_zps452ca108.png

Geminia999

Geminia999

Ocean Dragon Lord

• Veteran Members
  • 6,194 posts

Best. Comment. Ever. 

Also, during the live stream of Worlds, an announcer said that the entire Toronto event would be held in September format, and that the list would be published on August 20. 

Oh sweet! That's cool

DbOfRaW.jpg

Fokkusu

Fokkusu

Houkai no Hikari

• Veteran Members
  • 814 posts
    • Time Online: 33d 21h 14m 55s

This a regional event, which means people in the nearby area go to participate. That's what the point of it is, not really for people to show up from the USA to go, they have their own event.

Toronto YCS serves a LOT of people due to the fact that Toronto is the most heavily populated area in Ontario. I fail to see any problem with what Konami did. Besides, they hold YCS Toronto here pretty much every year since 2011 and people should understand the trend by now.

<< My Foxy Trades <3 >>

BZA0SOH.jpg

If your testicles are made of titanium, you can Heavy Storm your OWN field to get this to go off.

liy010

liy010

Honorable Member

• Veteran Members
  • 1,171 posts
    • Time Online: 24d 18h 45m 51s

This a regional event, which means people in the nearby area go to participate. That's what the point of it is, not really for people to show up from the USA to go, they have their own event.

Toronto YCS serves a LOT of people due to the fact that Toronto is the most heavily populated area in Ontario. I fail to see any problem with what Konami did. Besides, they hold YCS Toronto here pretty much every year since 2011 and people should understand the trend by now.

Yes. It is also one of the 4 most populated cities in Canada itself, if not THE most populated city right alongside Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary.

I don't know if I should attend. I could, but I wouldn't win or anything, not with Samurai, Dark World or Chain Beat ;.;

Red_Chaos

Red_Chaos

Elite Member

• Veteran Members
  • 2,594 posts
    • Time Online: 94d 10h 19m 46s

Yes. It is also one of the 4 most populated cities in Canada itself, if not THE most populated city right alongside Vancouver, Montreal and Calgary.

I don't know if I should attend. I could, but I wouldn't win or anything, not with Samurai, Dark World or Chain Beat ;.;

you could do the side events, and dw's are good enough to be a wild card deck

wolfiejim

wolfiejim

On mad suicide watch no lie

• Veteran Members
  • 4,280 posts
    • Time Online: 304d 14h 52m 11s

I like how he's implying people are going to listen to him. 

wolfiejim don't take no guff from no one and asks the hard hitting questions.

From one perspective, heterosexuality is limiting yourself of potential sexual/life partners. So, if one defined life only by the amount of pleasure they could endure in it, it could be seen as irrational.From another perspective, you're talking to a god damned wolf.

Also, 3 Soul is the correct number to run. If you were to draw it and you can't combo off, you wouldn't have combo'd off anyways.

Fokkusu

Fokkusu

Houkai no Hikari

• Veteran Members
  • 814 posts
    • Time Online: 33d 21h 14m 55s

Red is right. Dark Worlds, although not the best, are still an unexpectedly annoying match up if done right. Samurai doesn't do jack anymore unfortunately (at least not to me), in fact, ironically, my hardest match up is Infernities and Prophecy. Dragon Rulers don't even bother me.

Although the new format will be used so no more Rulers or OP Prophecy, just old Prophecy lol.

Honestly, go and have fun. It'd be luls if I faced you using my 3-Axis though lol. Limiting Chicken doesn't even hurt unless they Solemn the Chicken. otherwise the effect still goes lol.

Edited by Fokkusu, 13 August 2013 - 08:46 AM.

<< My Foxy Trades <3 >>

BZA0SOH.jpg

If your testicles are made of titanium, you can Heavy Storm your OWN field to get this to go off.

exiled_force

exiled_force

The Crawling Chaos

• 416 posts
    • Time Online: 9d 1h 2m 11s

What do we want as players? Better coverage. Live streams. Real rankings. Cash prizes. Better feature matches. Deck techs. New tournaments. Yu-Gi-Oh World Cup. Yu-Gi-Oh Players Championship. Real commentary. We want change. 

I think the only way to look at this as a whole and understand it is to start off with the expectation that prizes for yugioh will only be cards and never anything else, unless it's possible to for the hosting store to provide it without the support of the game's creator.  Unless I'm mistaken, and feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, for a player, it's all about moving up in a game, and it was great at first with booster boxes and super-special cards as prizes for winning the championship,  but that may not be enough anymore, and if that's the case, I'd say go and join the people who play magic the gathering, and I don't say that to be a d!@#, it's just I'm pretty sure you'd be happier playing it then you'd be playing this, since there are cash prizes there and so much more to win.

Edited by exiled_force, 14 August 2013 - 05:37 AM.

No stories for now. Here's some nice pictures instead.
Posted Image

Posted Image
Signatures furnished by Mistikal1der. Thanks so much for your time!!!!

SecretRare

SecretRare

• 228 posts
    • Time Online: 5d 3h 32m 51s

I hate to be the devil's advocate here, but look at the evidence: Who is presenting this thing but Joe Giorlando, a respected community player who has never won a YCS. Im not trying to point fingers here, but I  would not be surprised to see him playing at the top tables in Toronto.

Negativiti

Negativiti

LSPrince is bestest prince

• Veteran Members
  • 1,011 posts
    • Time Online: 93d 23h 34s

Somebody never told him life is unfair

blasterto40.gif

nguyenk34

nguyenk34

Veteran Member

• 499 posts
    • Time Online: 29d 15h 37m 23s
  • Youtube:sleepishkevin88
  • Team:None :D

Boycotting... Yugioh... those two words together in the same phrase/sentence don't click to me ._.

Boycotting a children's card game that's aimed towards people of all ages don't sound like a great Idea to me. If boycott works (which it wont) it will start 1 of 2 things:

-A Response from Konami saying they will listen to there customers more.

-A Response from Konami saying they will cancel all further YCS if there are less people attending.

Now which seems more reasonable? A single article writer and a group of boycotters beating the system, or a massive multi-million company? Overall, massive million dollar companies > The person who wrote Occupy YGO.

On a side note, did Occupy anything really accomplish anything? Or am I missing something?

guide_zps8025e167.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to the Dueling Network Forums!

To sign in, use your duelingnetwork.com account. If you do not have one, register here.