Photo

Safe Zone vs Targeting Cards

Best Answer MadRest, 22 August 2013 - 11:14 AM

You're mistaking 2 different situations, assuming you're talking about something that prevents targeting, like Forbidden Dress. If you chain something that prevents targeting to a card that has already selected its target, then that card won't prevent the targeting, since it has already happened. Dracossack targets as part of its activation, and if you chain Safe Zone, since it resolves first, it will prevent the targeted monster from being destroyed.

Example. Monster attacks - Chain Link 1: Dimensional Prison (it targets at this point)

Chain Link 2: Forbidden Dress (targets the attacking monster at this point)

Resolution:

Chain Link 2: The target cannot be targeted or destroyed until end of turn.

Chain Link 1: It has already been targeted by Dimensional Prison, so it is still banished. 

The common misconception here is that some people think that... Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

Realistic Punishment

Realistic Punishment

• 12 posts
    • Time Online: 4h 28m 52s
  • Facebook:Komirai
  • Twitter:ImKomirai
  • Youtube:Komirai
  • Team:Realist

Okay, as far as I understand, if you were to chain to a card that targets, then the effect still goes through due to the card it's targeting has already happened before Safe Zone. What I don't understand is, as for example, chain to Dracossack, then what? Same thing happens? But how can that be, if the second effect is it saves it from destruction?

So basically tell me what happens?

Badass_Bunny

Badass_Bunny

KAWAI ! ! !

• 1,944 posts
    • Time Online: 23d 3h 34m 33s

If you chain it to something that already targeted the monster than it doesn't stop that effect but if that effect destroys the monster than it does stop the monster from being destroyed.

Posted Image
Posted Image

There are two types of deck : Decks you play, and Decks that play you!

MadRest

MadRest

Nonsensicality

• Veteran Members
  • 875 posts
    • Time Online: 67d 7h 5m 4s
✓  Best Answer

You're mistaking 2 different situations, assuming you're talking about something that prevents targeting, like Forbidden Dress. If you chain something that prevents targeting to a card that has already selected its target, then that card won't prevent the targeting, since it has already happened. Dracossack targets as part of its activation, and if you chain Safe Zone, since it resolves first, it will prevent the targeted monster from being destroyed.

Example. Monster attacks - Chain Link 1: Dimensional Prison (it targets at this point)

Chain Link 2: Forbidden Dress (targets the attacking monster at this point)

Resolution:

Chain Link 2: The target cannot be targeted or destroyed until end of turn.

Chain Link 1: It has already been targeted by Dimensional Prison, so it is still banished. 

The common misconception here is that some people think that Forbidden Dress will prevent Dimensional Prison from working since it prevents targeting.

Edited by MadRest, 22 August 2013 - 11:18 AM.

awesome12345

awesome12345

• 236 posts
    • Time Online: 13d 4h 47m
  • Team:[BoB] Band of Brothers

Alot of cards target at cost. For example, if Compulsary Evac Device was used on monster, and controller chains Safe Zone, then effect of Compulsary still goes through because targeting was a cost. 

If you chain to Dracossack, the monster is not destroyed because Safe Zone prevents monsters from being destroyed by effects.

Forbidden Chalice does not stop targeting. It stops effects though. I think you mean Dress.

Edited by awesome12345, 22 August 2013 - 11:17 AM.

gallade_tag_by_photondragon12345-d5xxplh

Daniel C

Daniel C

• 39 posts
    • Time Online: 1d 23h 16m 15s

So if a monster if and then safe zone is chained targeting the same monster the first effect that targeted that monster is not negated?

What about if safe zone is destroyed while face down and I chain to target one of my opponents face-up attack position monsters... will that monster be destroyed by safe zones effect? 

Click The Like button :)

Skulblaka98

Skulblaka98

Elite Member

• Ruling Guru
  • 2,096 posts
    • Time Online: 73d 18h 57m 12s

And at the activation is the cost.

Please can someone help me with explaining this?

Targeting is not a cost. It is a separate mechanic that occurs at activation. 

PSCT is:

Condition: Activation; Resolution

http://www.konami.co...rticles/?p=2947

So if a monster if and then safe zone is chained targeting the same monster the first effect that targeted that monster is not negated?

What about if safe zone is destroyed while face down and I chain to target one of my opponents face-up attack position monsters... will that monster be destroyed by safe zones effect? 

Safe Zone cannot prevent targeting that has already occurred. If you chain Safe Zone to an effect that has targeted the monster, Safe Zone will prevent destruction if the effect destroys (if its your opponent's card of course). Effects that target but don't destroy, such as Compulsory Evacuation Device, will still resolve normally.

Is Safe Zone is targeted by Mystical Space Typhoon, then Safe Zone is chained, when MST destroys Safe Zone at Chain Link 1 (in this instance) the monster affected by Safe Zone will be destroyed when Safe Zone is destroyed, since Safe Zone resolved first.

See my profile for every ruling link you ever wanted!

BaroqueZwei: It's like that one trunk that Mad-Eye Moody had, only there's rulings stuff and tests in it instead of trussed-up owners. /Harry-Potter

Quotes of epicness:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to the Dueling Network Forums!

To sign in, use your duelingnetwork.com account. If you do not have one, register here.