Photo

Maiden, equip cards, and negate cards

Best Answer Skulblaka98, 30 September 2013 - 07:14 PM

Maiden is an optional quick effect that has to chain directly to whatever is targeting it, as denoted by the "when" text. It is not a trigger effect; it does not trigger. You have to manually activate it.

So, if you activate an equip spell, targeting Maiden, and your opponent responds, you cannot activate Maiden's effect (unless the effect at CL2 is targeting her).

If your opponent targets Maiden, you have the option to chain Maiden's quick effect when you can respond to the activation, as per normal chain rules.

Since both Maiden and negating an activation require direct chaining, only one can occur. It is impossible to have both.

Go to the full post »

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
4 replies to this topic

ltfrost

ltfrost

• 4 posts
    • Time Online: 2h 35m 38s

If I try to equip Maiden with Eyes of Blue with an equip card, and it's negated in whatever way (magic jammer, dark bribe, Shi En)...does the negation happen before or after she's chosen for a target?

For example if I activate Axe of Despair to equip to maiden, and someone negates it with dark bribe, do I still get Blue Eyes?

T3RCX

T3RCX

It's just T

• Ruling Guru
  • 989 posts
    • Time Online: 23d 18h 29m 44s
  • Youtube:t3rcx

If a Counter Trap responds to the activation of the effect which targets Maiden (such as an Equip Spell), then you cannot activate Maiden's effect because it is an optional Quick Effect.

Lightning Laxus

Lightning Laxus

Lightning Dragon Slayer

• Veteran Members
  • 970 posts
    • Time Online: 144d 11h 13m 41s

If I try to equip Maiden with Eyes of Blue with an equip card, and it's negated in whatever way (magic jammer, dark bribe, Shi En)...does the negation happen before or after she's chosen for a target?

For example if I activate Axe of Despair to equip to maiden, and someone negates it with dark bribe, do I still get Blue Eyes?

When an Equip Card is activated, it targets Maiden with Eyes of Blue at activation like you said, but there is a twist to that.

You see, Maiden has a Quick Monster Effect that is activated and chained to the effect that targeted it. However, when a card effect is activated, the opponent (of that card effect's owner) has the right to activate in response to that activation first (with the exception of when dealing with SEGOC/Mandatory effects, however that is not the case here.)

Counter Trap Cards are Spell Speed 3 whereas Maiden's effect is Spell Speed 2. You cannot activate Maiden's effect.

Edited by Lightning Laxus, 30 September 2013 - 03:36 PM.

https://testmoz.com/167770 - My Ruling & Game Mechanics Exam, see how far you stand!

(HIGHEST SCORE: 72/100 by "Argor42". You think you can beat that?)

25insx4.jpg

Cuatro Espada - Ulquiorra Schiffer

delete2.gif  CeroOscuras.gif  gif_230x134_6ab663.gif

Skulblaka98

Skulblaka98

Elite Member

• Ruling Guru
  • 2,089 posts
    • Time Online: 73d 13h 1m 25s
✓  Best Answer

Maiden is an optional quick effect that has to chain directly to whatever is targeting it, as denoted by the "when" text. It is not a trigger effect; it does not trigger. You have to manually activate it.

So, if you activate an equip spell, targeting Maiden, and your opponent responds, you cannot activate Maiden's effect (unless the effect at CL2 is targeting her).

If your opponent targets Maiden, you have the option to chain Maiden's quick effect when you can respond to the activation, as per normal chain rules.

Since both Maiden and negating an activation require direct chaining, only one can occur. It is impossible to have both.

See my profile for every ruling link you ever wanted!

BaroqueZwei: It's like that one trunk that Mad-Eye Moody had, only there's rulings stuff and tests in it instead of trussed-up owners. /Harry-Potter

Quotes of epicness:

ltfrost

ltfrost

• 4 posts
    • Time Online: 2h 35m 38s

that makes sense now. thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome to the Dueling Network Forums!

To sign in, use your duelingnetwork.com account. If you do not have one, register here.